Thread: Bike Packing! 9/28 - 9/30

Default Bike Packing! 9/28 - 9/30

Several people have shown interest, and I promised to post some more info this week. Here's the plan:

Friday - A few of us are riding from Davenport to my parent's house in Colona. We'll be camping that night in my parent's yard (can't wait, this'll bring me back!). My mom is grilling ribeyes that night, we'll hang out at the fire, etc etc.

Saturday - My mom is making breakfast for us, biscuits and gravy, eggs, sausage. The plan is to leave around 9am and start making our way towards WYANET IL. It is roughly 45miles from my parent's house to the campground, the pace will be around 12-14mph probably, with plenty of steps to...uhhhh....rehydrate. Actual ride time will be around 3.5 hours, arrival time will depend on how many rehydration stops we make.

Sunday - Get up, leave whenever we feel like it. SUNDAY FUNDAY!!

Other stuff: We are planning to have a fire out there, though I don't know if there's firerings or what. We are staying in the designated free campground, I've never been there and don't know what all they have. I know there are bathrooms, and I think they have running water. Wyanet is less than 2 miles from the campground. They have a Casey's and possibly a little grocery store or something. A few of us will be running into town to pickup firewood and other things after we get the camp settled.

This is a self supported trip. You should plan on bringing enough food, gear, tools, etc for yourself. Of course like any trip that FORCers go on, the people are amazing and everyone is willing to help with whatever.

The extended forecast is looking perfect as of right now, sunny and low 70s for highs and mid 50s for lows. Please post up if you plan on joining us, where you plan on hooking up with us, etc. It would be helpful to know who is going to eat at my parent's, so we make sure to have enough food for everyone!

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

I am in! What time you leaving Davenport on Friday?
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Probably leave Davenport around 5 or 6, no set time at this point. Do you still want my trailer?

Just realized it was Drew that wanted to borrow my trailer. Drew, you still interested?

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

OK my goal will be to be in downtown Davenport by 5:30. I could possible pull the trailer out to Colona if Drew not going to pick up before hand.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

We could meet downtown at 5:30, that sounds good to me.

For anyone that doesn't want to ride out there: Becky is going to be driving my truck out to Colona after she gets off work at 9. She'll be driving my F250, so there's plenty of room for bikes, gear and people if anyone wants a ride.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Yeah, Jordan and I are still interested. We already have an event scheduled for that Saturday 12-4pm and won't be able to ride out with you but we can meet you there later in the evening.

Does the trailer require a specific rear frame spacing? I can come get it sometime earlier in the week. Just let me know when you are available.

The trailer uses standard rear hub spacing, should work fine on either your MTB or Roadie (26er or 700c). It won't work on 29ers or fatbikes.

Update: Camping is NOT free. It is $8 per "family unit", which I assume means tent, per night. It sounds like it depends on whether or not a host or ranger comes by at the time, but plan to bring some cash just in case.

Also, there is running water in the bathrooms, picnic tables and a fire pit of some sort.

Right now there's about 10 of us confirmed.

Ya you only have to pay if the ranger sees you and soo many times I am there I am actually out biking and never see him and never pay. I am not suggesting freeloading but that is how their system works. The rangers name is Kevin and he is very cool and will not hassle us. I suggest that Becky stops at Randys to get firewood on the way out so hit him up about that. There is no store other than the Caseys but there is a BBQ joint that has the best sauce I ever had. The bar is also good for late night pizza. Last time I was around there was a diner for breakfast. If the car wash we go by entering town is not playing Bon Jovi I will buy the first couple pitchers. Just remembered the is a meat locker on east end of town with a vast selection. I also believe in being a self contained rig with all I need but see nothing wrong in having some bonus items in a Bonus support vehicle. In fact...lemme load my game of bags on that truck. The south side of the camp is waay better as it is more spread out for equestrian use and usually very available.

i just picked up this pack for Moab. it's a really good buy. thought someone on a bike packing trip would like it. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...offer=EMB09EM3
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

So what are people planning to do for lunch, dinner, and breakfast?
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

I will join in on saturday, probably eat along the way in one of the small towns.
    Get out and ride !!

I had planned to bring sandwich stuff for Saturday's lunch (just basic lunch meat type probably, or whatever I find that's easy). I am bringing some meat (chicken or steak probably) to grill Saturday night. I figured either Saturday after camp or Sunday morning I was going to ride into Wyanet for whatever Becky and I wanted for Sunday. Maybe even just eat breakfast at one of the Cafes there.

Board Position

I'm planning on bringing food to eat; sandwiches and non perishable food.

Are there any camp items needed that we can share instead of everyone bringing one of their own?

Before vaca, my plans were to make this trip. I just can't do it. Being gone the last two weeks between work and then 10 days of vacation coupled with a monstrous workload this week upon my return has left me exhausted. I can't bring myself to be gone for the third weekend in a row. Please take pix so I can at least live vicariously through you on this fun experience.
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Make the pilgrimage down Chicago street to the shop and I'll have High Life's for everyone! I work till 3 and unfortunately have a lot to do around the house this weekend. I won't be able to make this trip either. Also, Trackside is having their fall tasting event Saturday afternoon.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkn1 View Post
    Make the pilgrimage down Chicago street to the shop and I'll have High Life's for everyone! I work till 3 and unfortunately have a lot to do around the house this weekend. I won't be able to make this trip either. Also, Trackside is having their fall tasting event Saturday afternoon.
    We may have to do that!

Get out and ride !!

Board Position

Finally got around to posting our photos. Check out the gallery here: http://www.hansonphotodesign.com/hen...-packing-92912