Thread: Night riding advice

Default Night riding advice

Hi guys , I am looking for some advice getting into a lighting system.
    I want a lot of bang for the buck, as i know you can spend a Lot on lights if you want.
    are any of the lights sold at the LBS any good?
    Also what is the opinion on riding with a bike mounted light and helmet mount together..necessary?

It is getting to be that time of year, so the LBS will start stocking new lights and discounting last years models. I got both our lights from Healthy Habits. Mine is 250 lumen and the wife has a 300 lumen light. They are pretty bright. Do not look directly into a bike light! You will see black spots for at least 20 seconds. They are that bright.

If I'm riding by myself at night then I will mount the 250 to my helmet and the 300 on the handlebar. If you can only have one light then it should be mounted to your helmet since you need to see where you are looking, not where your handlebars are looking lol. But it's totally not necessary to have both. Beware that higher lumen lights will have a larger power source and the whole thing will be heavier so you probably don't want all that weight on your head of all places. That's why I like the 250. It's small, the battery is inside it, and it's bright enough for me to get my MTB jollies in the dark.

So anyways, minimum I would say is 250 lumen. You can go to 1000 lumen and probably beyond but at a certain price point I stop looking because it just starts to get ridiculous, and you might have a lawsuit on your hands if you blind the crap out of someone with your million dollar plasma powered rival of the sun bike light system.

Yes, the LBS sell all variety of lights, some good some not so good.

Personally, I prefer a light on my bars and one on my helmet.

Buy what you can afford.

Go ride. Have fun. Night riding may or may not be a blast.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I can't believe I'm saying this, but mtbr.com might have some useful information for you *gasp*:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/2012-bike-lights-shootout

They do a pretty good light review every year. No, it isn't necessary to have both a bike and helmet mounted light. You can get away with just a helmet mounted one, or if it's bright enough put it on our handlebars. If you plan to be racing in the dark, then maybe consider a helmet and handlebar. As far as how many lumens you need, that depends on how fast you want to go. Personally, I'd would get something at least 400 lumens minimum. This may be a good option: niterider-minewt-600-cordless. I believe your local bike shops carry it too. Of course, this comes from a guy that has a Light & Motion Seca 900 so I'm a bit of a light whore. Now Light & Motion has a 1700 lumen... I think I need an upgrade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks guys, think I'm going to check out the minewt, I really like the fact that it's cordless.
    Anyone still use magicshine? I have heard both good and bad things about them, but have been looking closely at this one.
    http://www.action-led-lights.com/col...umen-light-set
    I don't need to go extremely fast at night , I just want to be able to ride .

Get 2 minewt 650 cordless. They are cheap and work awesome!

The minewt is an excellent choice. Lots peeps in the club run niterider lights and love 'em.

Welcome to the addiction!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by bz300 View Post
    Thanks guys, think I'm going to check out the minewt, I really like the fact that it's cordless.
    Anyone still use magicshine? I have heard both good and bad things about them, but have been looking closely at this one.
    I don't need to go extremely fast at night , I just want to be able to ride .
    If you're going to go with a MagicShine than do one of these:
    http://www.action-led-lights.com/col...bike-light-set

I had the 900 lumen one, and than 'upgraded' to the 1400. It wasn't that much brighter and doesn't work as a helmet light. Also, the mount sucks on the 1400 & 1800 so it always slips down. Definitely get the helmet mount as an extra.

I don't necessarily have my heart set on magicshine, just curious on their reputation since the prices seem much cheaper than comparable brands.
    I have nothing to compare them to but the o- ring / rubber band mounts just seem kind of hokey..
    The minewt / lumina 650 looks really sturdy.
    I plan on stopping by healthy habits after work today to see what they carry, otherwise I will be putting in an order online tonight for the 650s.

I have quite a few sets of lights, and the only ones that have lasted through the years of abuse for me have been NightRider. The two sets I have are the MiNewt x2 Duals and the Trinewt. As long as you properly maintain the batteries you should be good.

The other lights I've used are PrincetonTec (faulty battery multiple times, all replaced under warranty until I got sick of getting stuck in the dark), SunLite (bad design, wire comes loose inside the head, currently awaiting replacement) and a Light & Motion (bought "lightly" used, just quit working, no idea why).

I don't necessarily have my heart set on magicshine, just curious on their reputation since the prices seem much cheaper than comparable brands.
    I have nothing to compare them to but the o- ring / rubber band mounts just seem kind of hokey..
    I plan on stopping by healthy habits after work today to see what they carry, otherwise I will be putting in an order online tonight for the 650s.
    Believe it or not, the rubber band mounts are very good. It gives you tons of mounting options. I am still using the original set on my x2's, from 2008 or so..

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Believe it or not, the rubber band mounts are very good. It gives you tons of mounting options. I am still using the original set on my x2's, from 2008 or so..
    +1

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Honestly, if you're looking for a quality light, stay away from magicshine. The first one I had the LED brunt out, and I hardly used it. They give me the 1400 as a replacement for it. I keep it around as a backup light, but I'm sure if used it as my primary it would fail too. Love my Light & Motion, but NiteRider is a great brand too.

Yea thanks , definitely appreciate the advice !
    I think I'm going to go with 2x niterider 650s.

I ended up buying the niterider dual 700, I literally laughed out loud when I saw how bright they are.
    I can't wait!!