Thread: Michigan UP trail info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Michigan UP trail info

I'm jealous of all those going to Copper Harbor, so it looks like I might be heading to the UP next summer. Has anyone ridden the trails at Porcupine Mountain State Forest that could tell me if they're worth a visit?

Trail map here: http://www.michigandnr.com/Publicati...ketrailmap.pdf

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I visited this park a few years ago in the winter for cross country skiing trip. The trails we skied (Govt. Peak, West Vista, Superior Loop, and a lot fo the west side trails) were double track with quite a few steep climbs and descents and were nothing like the flowy singletrack we love for mountain biking. We didn't get a chance to check out the trails on the east side of the park so I don't know how they are laid out. From looking at the map and how the trails follow the terrain, I would guess most of the east side trails are double track as well and are not built to contour trail specifications. From my limited experience, I wouldn't recommend it as a destination for mountain biking. The park has beautiful scenery and is worth consideration just for that if you are in the area.

Board Position
    Vice President

and the yurts! what about the yurts! you have to stay at the union bay yurt right on lake supurior! its the best