Thread: Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day, October 6th

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Default Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day, October 6th

http://www.imba.com/kids

We have been OK'd the use of the Sylvan Gateway Park and Island for this event.
    Time of event is 9am-12 noon
    Advertising to be through word of mouth. If someone can help out in other ways let me know. There had been initial thought if getting flyers into the school systems.

I am budgeting and planning for 60 attendees.

Bike & Hike and Bike One will be making some donations of time/swag.

Purchasing some helmets to give away to kids that don't have.

I would like to see 2-4 skills stations set up. Similar to MTB 101 but much smaller to accommodate kids 3-10. As simple as hauling a branch out of the woods to ride over. Perhaps a 6ft long 1x10" board. And another board 2' long to place on a 4" log to make a drop/jump.

We will have drinks and healthy snacks along with cliff bars.
    Will have an IMBA magazine geared at kids.

Of course will want to lead some rides around the island at different ages/levels.

The big things is I will be unable to be there physically!
    Vonda has said she would be able to help out so I am hoping for her to be main point of contact at GO time.

Things that need to happen that morning or day before.
    Pick up water/gatorades, put in cooler with Ice.
    Pick up grapes and Bananas, veggie tray etc.
    Set out food and drink spread.
    Easy Up tent and banner displayed.
    Set up the few small obstacles.

Staff
    2 people to lead rides
    1 person to oversee snacks foods
    2 people to help with obstacles
    1 person to oversee helmets and anything we have to give away.
    I think that is minimum more would be great!

Please let me know who can commit and what you would like to do. Open to additional ideas and input.

Thanks,
    Eric
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

l can help with some preliminary stuff, but have a wedding at 1 PM that I'll need to be at home by 11 AM to get showered and make the drive.
    I wanna ride!

the browns can help Saturday morning.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Thanks Browns! Also just got off the phone with Janel Gonzalez and she will be able to help too! So we have a core group and hope that makes some others feel comfortable stepping up knowing they won't be going it alone.
    Browns are going to help with setting up a few simple obstacles which is great.
    Will need some ride leaders, ANYONE in this club is qualified to take out 3-8 kids at a time for a 10-15 minute ride around the island.
    Also will need someone to haul a couple coolers with Gatorade and water there in the morning. If someone with a couple coolers will do this I will bring the Gatorade and water to your house that week.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

We will unfortunately be out of town for this event, but please forward me a flyer or any other official advertisement for this - I can post on City of Moline website,

Nate

Deb and I will be there also!

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Thanks JB & Deb for the help!

I went to Bike & Hike yesterday to pick up some stuff to give away and Steve hooked us up! Over a dozen headlights and over 10 saddle bags. Kids will love having a light or someplace to put their stuff. Also 5 water bottles with cages, and 6 baseball caps!

B&B Cycle Shop has also give us about 10 nice Trek water bottles.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I didn't see anything posted about this event on the FORC Facebook page. It would probably be a good idea to get it up there as well as on the homepage.

Here is a copy of the flier:

If you need a smaller image size, check out this page for a selection of sizes: link

dang it, I have my son that weekend too but I didnt sign off work (have to work a few hours that day) and wife made plans to go do something else!!! He'd love to ride trails I jsut dont feel comfortable taking him cause Im not that good nor know the trails well enough yet. So we stick to the stuff thats dirt paths in the woods or pavement. I even got him a Trek MT60 (used but awesome) for his bday last month.

Ill be waiting for this to go up next season so I can bring him out, glad to see you guys host so many events to get ppl into riding!

Keep in mind that our Take a Kid Mtn Biking event is TOMORROW at 9 AM at Sylvan Island. Eric Perry has lined up one heck of an event! Free helmets for the kids, waters bottles, and bike repairs thanks to our awesome sponsors: Davenport Noon Optimists, Bike n Hike, B & B Cycles, and Bike One. It's going to be brisk, so please dress accordingly. And keep spreading the word! This event will only be successful if we have participants!
    I wanna ride!

Ok so guess what. I'm able to make it with my 6 yr old son. He has his own gear so were good there, I'll try to help out where I can with everything since I'm new to pretty much everything. Pm me if anything specific is needed that I would be able to help with. I'll try to be there before 9 to help set up as well.