Thread: What do you drink during rides?

Default What do you drink during rides?

I've been drinking plain water during rides. What do you drink to prevent cramps, fatigue, etc?

...oh, and Heed works too. If you need a little more boost you can mix it with Hammer Gel. 4+ hour rides I add Perpetuem. I actually have a whole nutrition plan for 4+ hour training rides and races, but that's more in depth then anyone here wants to hear about. Unless I'm doing hard intervals, I stick to water. That nutrition stuff ain't cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ive been mixing 50-50 water and gatorade in a water bottle for aggressive rides or races, and when its really hot outside. If its just a casual ride, usually just water.
    I got a huge thing of Heed from one of the 24-9 winners who didnt want it, and I tried it last weekend at Palos. It was okay, but it sure did nothing to stop me from cramping up!
    Eating a GU pack just before the race starts helps too.
    BTW...use a water bottle if you mix any type of sport drink or powder - way easier to clean than a camelback. If you put that stuff in a camel and dont clean it right away, then it will grow mold.

Where are you cramping? For me, it's always my left hamstring. Those hammies sure can pull hard!

Gatorade in the bottle and water in the Camelbak.

Cramping? Start by loading water all day every day - if you wait til you're riding to drink, it won't make any difference at all - Too late. Next, try stretching better before and after rides or just stretching at all. Bananas are good for cramping so eat one of those before riding and wash it down with a few swigs of pickle juice. No joke. The pickle juice thing works but it sucks when you burp it up in the middle of your ride. If you're riding clipless, try moving your clip thingy placement in your shoe (thanks for that Mielke).

I drink Advocare Rehydrate during rides. Heed is too sticky for me.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

I eat 2 bananas pre-race, at least 1.5 hours before. I just drink water. I've tried the supplement packs, but have yet to find one that I actually like the taste of. Like dirt said, it's pointless to try to hydrate during a ride. It has to be done beforehand.

I sweat like crazy and apparently lose a lot of salt because of it. For long rides I take extra salt. Any salt works for me. Been taking S Caps every 45 minutes or so on rides that last more than a couple hours to avoid cramps but table salt added to Gatorade will do it too.

I think everyone is different though so you have to experiment to see what works.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2