Thread: Don't be dumb...

Default Don't be dumb...

...Like me. Today at SBP, I crashed on a non-approved berm built on the Green loop. I rode up on it, it gave out, I twisted my handle bars around as my wheel sunk into the soft dirt and I slammed my wrist into the trail. Hopefully, I didn't break it, but it's getting hard to lift a full can of beer with it tonight so the prognosis is not too good.

Moral of the story: You might think I'm going to complain about people building rogue trails and non-approved features. While that does tork me off (and had I seen the responsible parties right after my crash, I would have been livid with them), I'm not. Morons who either know better or don't or going to be morons. The moral of the story: Control what you can control. Be smarter than me. NEVER ride a new feature until you've stopped and checked it out first.

If you notice a new feature (granted sometimes they sneak up on you), ride past it, check it out and make sure it looks legit. The instant I hit this berm, I knew I screwed up. Later, I was able to knock the entire thing down in about 20 seconds with my foot. I should have been suspicious immediately and checked it out before hitting it at a high speed.

Just because a feature is present on our trails doesn't mean a trained trail builder built it. Be smart. Inspect before riding. If you aren't sure, skip it. Ask on this forum to find out more.

Now back to my beer...
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Saw that berm today....looked sketchy but I rode it multiple times and railed it anyway... someone should put a real berm there because it was definitely fun while it lasted. :-)

Dirt knocked down this "berm" in 20 seconds, which means it was very poorly constructed and no where near solid enough to ride, yet you "railed it" a few times? Cool story, bro.

Dirt's advice is spot on. Frequently, we're seeing rogue features and trail offshoots popping up around Sunderbruch. If you've been riding for a while, it's pretty simple to tell whether a feature is rogue or built by FORC.

This particular corner is in no need of a berm. Learn how to corner correctly and you can rail it at speed no problem.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

csb
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    Learn how to corner correctly and you can rail it at speed no problem.
    Zowie. That's harsh. I know basebklyn1 well enough to know that if he said he railed it, he railed it.

I don't think there are many, if any, people in the club that can hold his wheel; cornering correctly is not something he needs to learn.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Maybe we're talking about a different spot unless the dirt was hard packed in the early morning then soft by noon...The thing I hit - literally - had the consistency of a pile of sand.

Just saying, be careful out there. Oh...And love one another, eh? Rage, you know what I love about you? Well, besides your wit, stature and charmingly good looks...You are a walking, talking, living, breathing Coca-Cola commercial. Love ya, Bro!
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Maybe we're talking about a different spot unless the dirt was hard packed in the early morning then soft by noon...The thing I hit - literally - had the consistency of a pile of sand.

Just saying, be careful out there. Oh...And love one another, eh? Rage, you know what I love about you? Well, besides your wit, stature and charmingly good looks...You are a walking, talking, living, breathing Coca-Cola commercial. Love ya, Bro!
    And queue quote: "Haters gonna hate"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ya, guess I let me emotions get the best of me...quick trigger kinda thing....

My thought process...Dirt knocked the berm down in 20 seconds with his foot so it was nowhere near solid enough to ride.

I have no doubt since you say basebklyn has no issue cornering, that he can hold his own. He likely rails that corner regardless of some shotty rogue pile of dirt playing the role of a berm.

Sorry to come off like a donkey. Sometimes I should think a bit more before I post. These rogue features and trail offshoots are ticking me off. Didn't mean to take it out on another rider.
    Last edited by jimithng23; 08-20-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Berm was back again today. Knocked it all down but its still loose on the out side of the corner so stay on the hard stuff.

Also saw a few rouge jumps popping up on the sides of the trail in a few spots. And I think the jump is back on sugar but didn't go back to take a look. Might of just been going so fast I caught air over a little bump.
    Last edited by speedjunkie; 08-21-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Someone is getting a kick out of screwing with the sunder trails.... I never see any rouge deals at scp.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS10X View Post
    Someone is getting a kick out of screwing with the sunder trails.... I never see any rouge deals at scp.
    SCP has a governing body as well as fines if anyone's caught.

Sunderbruch is City property, maintained solely by FORC and occasionally an "Ambassador" tolls through the parking lot.

Stopping the rogue building is next to impossible.

Any ideas?

I noticed that SAU has a recreational cycling club that promotes the usage of FORC trails. I don't know if they have any communications with FORC but maybe it would be good to notify them of these issues so they can broadcast it to their membership and being aware of the issues, may be able to help us figure out what is going on out there.

Their contact info is here: http://www.sau.edu/Campus_Life/Stude...nal_Clubs.html

Set up some deer hunting cameras in the problem areas so we can get the time they normally come and some pictures of what they look like.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I noticed that SAU has a recreational cycling club that promotes the usage of FORC trails. I don't know if they have any communications with FORC but maybe it would be good to notify them of these issues so they can broadcast it to their membership and being aware of the issues, may be able to help us figure out what is going on out there.

Their contact info is here: http://www.sau.edu/Campus_Life/Stude...nal_Clubs.html
    Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    Set up some deer hunting cameras in the problem areas so we can get the time they normally come and some pictures of what they look like.
    Both excellent ideas.

How about just set up fake cameras with a "no rogue trail building" sign. Cheaper, and might be good enough to scare offenders. Plus, who wants to go through all that video to find the offenders?

I'll look into both ideas. Thanks for the input guys.

Maybe I can get the City to help out with the cost of the cameras! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    How about just set up fake cameras with a "no rogue trail building" sign. Cheaper, and might be good enough to scare offenders. Plus, who wants to go through all that video to find the offenders?
    Sign is already up.

Pretty sure it's been proven through time that signage doesn't prevent much.

Fake cameras, now that idea has merit.

There's a sign up? If I missed it I could see how someone that doesn't know any better could miss it.

Fake cameras are great as long as they don't look fake and that's hard to pull off in the woods with no power around.

The sign is very easy to be missed. It's on the left pillar of the iron bridge as you cross the creek from the parking lot.

I have a pretty good feeling the rogue builders are entering the park from the southeast corner at Sugar Bottom.

There's a sign up? If I missed it I could see how someone that doesn't know any better could miss it.

Fake cameras are great as long as they don't look fake and that's hard to pull off in the woods with no power around.
    Hunting cams have their own built-in power source I reckon

What about getting a cheap movable sign that could be placed where the rouge features pop up and explane why they were torn down?

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Hunting cams have their own built-in power source I reckon
    Ya but no one would see them so they don't need to look real. Faking it has to be done right is what im saying

Faking it has to be done right is what im saying
    That's what she said!