Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTB Patrol fall semester?

Default MTB Patrol fall semester?

With the Stampede and Fest behind us, are there any thoughts on a Patrol class this fall?

Yes I will try to get a class scheduled, so if you are interested, please post up here and stay tuned. Thanks for your interest AW.

+1

why not.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I'd be in for that...........as long as it's on a Sunday. My Saturdays in the fall involve all day drinking in Iowa City.

I would like to know more details. Could someone PM me sometime please?

Sent from Tapatalk 2

Cool, glad people are interested. MTB Patrol is much like the 'Ski Patrol' at various resorts and ski hills. Patrollers are there to provide information and assistance to bikers on the trails and at the trail head.
    There are two levels of participation; Ambassadors and full Patrollers. Both groups provide trail info, explain rules and provide mechanical assistance. Patrollers add first aid and CPR ability to the mix. Neither group has law/rule enforcement capability, so no Barney Fife's allowed. We are there to give MTB a friendly face and hopefully encourage the folks we help to enjoy and continue to bike; help out the local club and respect the trail system and the work that goes into it. And you get to wear a cool red or blue jersey.
    I will set something set up but I don't see us getting it done before the Taming of the Slough. That being said, that race is a prime place for folks to need help, as they will be new or unfamiliar with our sport, so please volunteer to be a trail marshall and you will get a taste of what the patrollers do and you will be helping out FORC.
    The program is administered through IMBA. You can read more about it at www.imba.org/nmbp
    db

I too am very interested

Haven't forgot about this, stay tuned.

Interested.

interested

OK, I think it is finally time to pull the trigger on a Patrol/Ambassador class. Weather's not that great and unless you ride a fatty and are somewhat insane, you are getting Cabin Fever. We will need about 4-5 hours to get through the material. I am thinking of 2 Wednesday evenings (late January or early Feb.) @ 2 hrs each. 1 night will be how to behave as a patroller, the other basic bike repair. We could do it all on one weekend day if preferable, but we can figure that out when I know who is (or still is) interested.

MTB Patrol is much like the 'Ski Patrol' at various resorts and ski hills. Patrollers are there to provide information and assistance to bikers on the trails and at the trail head.
    There are two levels of participation; Ambassadors and full Patrollers. Both groups provide trail info, explain rules and provide mechanical assistance. Patrollers add first aid and CPR ability to the mix (the First Aid/CPR classes will cost you money, looks like about $70-90 at the red cross in Moline). Neither group has law/rule enforcement capability, so no Barney Fife's allowed. We are there to give MTB a friendly face and hopefully encourage the folks we help to enjoy and continue to bike; help out the local club and respect the trail system and the work that goes into it. And you get to wear a cool red or blue jersey.
    The program is administered through IMBA. You can read more about it at www.imba.org/nmbp.

So if your name is on this thread only let me know if you decided against it. If not on this thread, and interested, put your name on this thread. Please let me know in the next week or so, so we can get it done before the weather breaks.
    db

Sounds interesting
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

I'd be interested if I can fit it around my work schedule...

I am still in...

I can work around Wednesday nights if a weekend doesn't work out.

I'm currently an Ambassador...I cannot make Wednesday nights work, but I'm not sure if (I've been in the program since '10) I really need to...? Unless there's some type of "re-cert" for Ambassadors. In which case, I'd be happy to make it up.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I'd sign up for an ambassador
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

Will there be any actual bleeding for me to work on at this class?

I got my instructor wings a few years ago so if you'd like company, give a Holla!

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

I'm in!

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Interested, but no-can-do if same days times of bike repair/maint class

Id be interested in ambassador, but need a 2-3 week warning on the night or day to do it as i got a funky work schedual that changes every week so gotta sign off for the night/nights or weekend day to do it.

I just got signed up for the bike mechanic class so Wednesdays are now out. :(

OK Students, looks like we have a bunch of interested folks. Now the hard part, picking dates to do the classes. SO... this is what we need to accomplish
    1. NMBP responsibilities segment - 2hr class
    2. Basic bike repair segment - 2 hr class
    I will be your instuctor for the NMBP responsibility portion, but the bike repair portion can be accomplished in other ways. Your own ability and experience; another class such as the SCC repair class 2/6-2/20, or me teaching you the basics. The skills you need are:
    the following standard field repairs:
    1.Flat repair
    2.Chain repair
    3.Derailleur adjustment
    4.Saddle adjustment
    5.Brake adjustment
    6.Head set adjustment
    7.Basic spoke and wheel repair

I can conduct classes on any of the following dates.
    1/28, 1/30, 2/5, 2/7, 2/9, 2/11, 2/16, 2/18, 2/23, ( for repair section only we can also do 2/6, 2/13, 2/20). These can be 2 hr classes or 4 hr with both sections. Please post up your preferences (date & 2hr vs 4hr) and if you need the repair portion class.
    you can PM me if you have questions. A bit long winded I know, wait to you hear me teach.
    dirtboy

I can be available any time on the 30th, otherwise any date where a class would end before noon or so. I don't have my schedule into February yet, so beyond that is wait and see for me.