Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab, Baby!!! 2012

Cool Moab, Baby!!! 2012

The grandfather has retired and passed the torch to the younger generation...

Ladies and gentleman, I bring you.......

What: 2012 Epic Road Trip
    Where: Moab, Fruita, Grand Junction
    When: Leave Sep 29 in the am, back home Oct 7 in the am

Allz I need to know is the Who: ?

Give a holla!

--- a few details to consider ---

Based on the '08 and '10 trips, figure $300 for lodging and fuel expense. Most of us spent between $600-$800 depending on how much you drink, eat, drink, and buy or if you bust any parts or rent a bike.

Speaking of renting a bike...everything in Moab is rideable on most any mountain bike that you would think of taking out there. How much you enjoy yourself is the question. You may want to think about renting a bike for a few of the rides in Moab. Uranium Cycles, Poison Spider, and a few other shops right there in town have some pretty sweet rental fleets and prices are reasonable.

Last but absolutely nowhere near least, you must be self sufficient.

Read that one again: Self Sufficient.

This means: hydration pack stuffed with spare parts (chain links, tubes, CO2, pump, derailleur hangers, chain tool, multitool, etc....), plenty of water, and nutrition. Most days you'll be lunching trailside. Know your bike. Know how to make simple repairs trailside - replacing a tube, repairing a chain, tightening a spoke, etc.

You'll be putting in over 20+ miles a day on some crazy chunky terrain for most of this trip. The last thing you want is the ride of your life turning into a death march. it happens in the blink of an eye and trust me, it's no fun.

"FORC Goes West" is not a trip to miss out on. You'll create memories and bonds that will last a lifetime, all from 6 days of riding a bicycle.

So, who's in?!!?
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Sunderbruch

Me!

I'm in and can't wait for this to happen again :-)

like flynn. MOAB BABY, YEAH!!!
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I'll be there for the Moab portion. All for goodness sacks, if you haven't gone tubeless yet do so before the trip! And make sure you have fresh sealant. There's cactus out there and if you hit one with a tube setup it will just keep re-flating from slow leaks, trust me. If not tubeless, maybe consider one of those fancy tubes with sealant in them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm all for goodness sacks too! And I'm in for this trip fo show.

Quote Originally Posted by Neiprider View Post
    I'm all for goodness sacks too!
    *And for goodness sacks

Grammar whore.

Board Position

There's cactus out there and if you hit one with a tube setup it will just keep re-flating from slow leaks, trust me.
    If I remember correctly Gunch, you're the only one who had any issues with cactus and it didn't have anything to do with tires!
    2012 World DodgeTyre Champion

I would like to participate.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Count me in
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

Quote Originally Posted by Kings View Post
    If I remember correctly Gunch, you're the only one who had any issues with cactus and it didn't have anything to do with tires!
    There was cactus needles in the tire that kept causing slow leaks... I admit that a few were pinch flats though. Those were my days of pushing my limits beyond my ability. Pretty sure I crashed more than anyone else that trip too. Oh well, live and learn. Still, tubeless is a good idea regardless for pinch flat and/or cactus needles.

Board Position

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    There was cactus needles in the tire that kept causing slow leaks... I admit that a few were pinch flats though. Those were my days of pushing my limits beyond my ability. Pretty sure I crashed more than anyone else that trip too. Oh well, live and learn. Still, tubeless is a good idea regardless for pinch flat and/or cactus needles.
    Just messing with you buddy!

What I was actually referring to was our first trip out there riding Poison Spider Trail where you went a couple rounds with some cactus because you were trying to avoid hitting a lizard?

Any of that ring a bell? I'm sure you didn't forget that moment...I sure the hell haven't!

Good times! Can't wait to ride with you again soon.
    2012 World DodgeTyre Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Kings View Post
    Just messing with you buddy!

What I was actually referring to was our first trip out there riding Poison Spider Trail where you went a couple rounds with some cactus because you were trying to avoid hitting a lizard?

Any of that ring a bell? I'm sure you didn't forget that moment...I sure the hell haven't!

Good times! Can't wait to ride with you again soon.
    There was a lizard! I saved the poor things live! I took a sacrifice and landed in a cactus. I'm still considered a hero to reptiles worldwide. I pulled the last needle out of my leg two years later. I have tweezers in my camelbak just in case it happens again. Also going to carry a decent amount of first aid. I'll double check my supplies before the trip and be the medical mule. Surprised I haven't had more cactus related issues since we have them out here.

There was a lizard! I saved the poor things live! I took a sacrifice and landed in a cactus. I'm still considered a hero to reptiles worldwide. I pulled the last needle out of my leg two years later. I have tweezers in my camelbak just in case it happens again. Also going to carry a decent amount of first aid. I'll double check my supplies before the trip and be the medical mule. Surprised I haven't had more cactus related issues since we have them out here.
    First aid kit. Good idea, 'specially since you're riding with us.

Actually, sober, you may not crash...as much!

You guys are killing me!

I'll have to create a minor miracle to pull this off.

Some ON BIKE supplies you may want to have (jimithng23 carried a few of these already, but worth saying twice)

• Hydration pack - 100oz minimum (holds roughly three hours worth of water)
    • Multitool with chain tool on it, or at least have a chain tool in addition to multitool
    • Chain links (having a SRAM powerlink is a good idea too)
    • Tubes (bring a least 2)
    • Patch kit (in case two tubes isn't enough)
    • CO2s and pump to use it (bring at least 2 CO2s)
    • Hand pump (this is in conjunction with CO2 pump in case you run out of CO2s)
    • Tire levers are a good idea too
    • Derailluer hanger
    • Water bottles to hold fuel such as electrolyte drink of choice
    • Fuel! - You want to be around 240-280 calories an hour to stay fueled but not fill like you're going to throw up. In conjunction with the electrolyte drink mix you should carry something to eat. Margarita favored shot bloks are tasty and have 3x the sodium then other shot bloks to help with cramping (doubt you'll have too much issue with cramping since we're not racing here, but I'll bring sodium capsules just in case). Bring a energy bar of choice, or maybe even a PB&J sandwich. And that better be a banana in your pocket because you'll be happy to see it mid-ride!
    • Additional Clothing - At a minimum bring a wind jacket. They pack up nicely and come in handy if it's chilly or starts raining (not great in the rain, but better than nothing). Arm warmers and knee/leg warmers are a good optional item to have as well. Arm warmers come in handy for medical emergencies too.
    • Medical supplies - Some gauze and tape for bleeding, something for a splint (back to the arm warmers...), and tweezers are a great idea (damn cactus's).
    • Butt butter! - Unless you have calluses in all the right... um, I mean wrong places like me a good arse cream comes in handy. You can get mini's to throw in your pack.
    • Extra derailluer if you got one (I'll try to remember to bring mine)
    • Optional - some good Colorado beer! (in cans of course)
    • Really optional - flash light, construction rated garage bag, lighter... never know when you'll have to overnight it... but I doubt this is going to be an issue.

If I'm forgetting anything post up.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    First aid kit. Good idea, 'specially since you're riding with us.

Actually, sober, you may not crash...as much!
    Whoa whoa whoa, who says I'm going to be sober!? Remember, you're coming to my terrain now. Fast, flowy, rocky downhill sections is what I do! No damn trees to catch my handlebars like in the Midwest.

...and dont forget your camera. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by mcwrath View Post
    ...and dont forget your camera. Duh.
    Damn tourists....

Quote Originally Posted by mcwrath View Post
    You guys are killing me!

I'll have to create a minor miracle to pull this off.
    Do it.

Whoa whoa whoa, who says I'm going to be sober!? Remember, you're coming to my terrain now. Fast, flowy, rocky downhill sections is what I do! No damn trees to catch my handlebars like in the Midwest.
    my bars are 777mm wide. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    my bars are 777mm wide. I have no idea what you're talking about.
    I upgraded mine to 725mm and I thought that was long. Is that bike going to be an all-mountain or a downhill bike!? Should work pretty well out in Moab with all the downhill we'll be doing.

I'm thinking that everyone who is going on this trip has either posted in this thread or has confirmed with me personally that they are in.

The count right meow is 9, with Gunchie joining us in Moab.

The trip logistics can accomodate 12 peeps.

If you're on the fence speak up...it's a cheap trip compared to the fun you're gonna have!

I am a little excited about this trip. I went ahead and reserved a Transition Covert for The Whole Enchilada. Might be an ok bike for the day. This trip has the possibility of be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Neiprider View Post
    I am a little excited about this trip. I went ahead and reserved a Transition Covert for The Whole Enchilada. Might be an ok bike for the day. This trip has the possibility of be fun.
    I'd say there's a fair to decent chance of considerable fun to be had. Not completely sure though.

I remember some talk about this trip around the 2012 MWMBF
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!