Thread: Fork recommendation?

Default Fork recommendation?

Hello, I have a 2008 Trek 6700 that I bought new here in the QC's. It's been a good bike but recently the front fork isn't as smooth as it used to be. It's the original RockShox Recon with 100mm travel. I wouldn't mind replacing it with a good, solid fork - hopefully used to keep the price lower.

I'm not very familiar with switching out forks and what details to look for. On ebay there is a used Fox 32 F Series that is 100 mm travel too, with 1-1/8" steerer tube. Is that the standard tube size and would fit my bike?

Any suggestions or recommendations would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
    -Springer

That fork should work. I only know of two types. 1 1/8 and the newer style tapered tube. Maybe a mechanic will tell you more.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

yep, you'll have no problem with that size steerer tube.

one think you'll want to check is the length of the tube itself. the last thing you want is to get a new (to you) fork and the steerer is too short!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Save even more dough and rebuild your Recon. That's a decent fork for what you have, save up for a full bike upgrade.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Rebuild the Recon. I love mine. Is your bike disc or linear pull? That'll be important. Stick to the same amount of travel, and yes, make sure the steerer tube is long enough. Also, buying used you won't know how well it has been maintained.

The bike has disc brakes and had early fork trouble shortly after I bought it from J & S's. It wasn't able to lockout and J & S's was nice enough to rebuild the fork under warranty at the time. But the problem came back a couple years ago and now the movement is grabby instead of smooth. So I'm not sure if rebuilding the fork again is the best option.

If it's grabby as you described, it's likely that new seals/wipers could fix your issue. I recommend taking it back to the shop and have them take a look or do it yourself if you're comfortable with this type of service.

A re-seal or a full rebuild is much less $$$ compared to buying a new fork.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."