Thread: Anyone go night riding?

Default Anyone go night riding?

So I picked up a couple of NiteRider 300's and attached them to our helmets (my girlfriend and I) for the first time last night. We started riding around 10:45 last night and rode a couple miles on Illiniwek - it was awesome. I knew I was going to love night riding as soon as I saw the NiteRider light in the store, she wasn't so sure about riding at night until after we got back to the truck, but she thought it was a blast. So now I'm wondering if that's a pretty popular thing within the FORC club and if any of you guys or girls do occasional night riding? I'd love to do it more often and meet up for a night ride some time if anyone enjoys it. Let me know if that sounds like fun to you.

That's how we roll... You just missed out on the biggest night ride ever at the Mid West mtb fest. I think we counted off 43 peeps. it was awesome!

Someone has even been talking about a night race or maybe a time trial.

Post up a night ride a day in advance so we can get the batteries charged up. People will come.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

i ride at night solo fairly often as that seems to be the easiest time for me to get out without disruption to the family. (everybodys winding down for the night, relaxing on the couch in front of the tube). i would be up to go, most times at a moments notice. i TRY and have the lights charged most all the time as i never know myself when i'll just decide to head out. my number is 235,6845. put it in you phone and give a sohut out if u wanna ride. notice is great but not always necessary. if u decide at 7:00 that you are riding at 9, hit me up, chances are i'd join.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

@ Russhole: That sounds like it was an awesome time. I wish I could have been there. I'm a Palmer guy, so it's tough to get involved as much as I would like to. I don't have a lot of time for group rides or trail maintenance days, but I do at least support the club through dues to help offset the costs of trail projects. I'm always impressed by the commitment of the FORC members and would love to get more involved. Maybe I'll be able to check out the next Mid West fest.

@ dru_b: I'll definitely send you a text sometime soon to hit it up at night. That would be awesome and as Russhole said, I'll post something in advance and see if we can get several riders out one night. Thanks guys

I've done some night riding. I have a NightRider at my disposal and, usually, nothing but time on my hands. 2691352

Sounds good Jeremiah. It's nice to see that there are several others ready and willing to ride. I'll save your number and text you about a ride one night. Thanks man

Yep. Night ride = fun. Problem is this time of year night starts too late! Never thought I'd complain about sunshine, but I think I just did...

Anyway, you'll get a lot more use out of those lights this Fall. In the meantime, I do hope people will post up more night rides in the Let's Ride forum. I'd like to know about 'em. I'm not big on night riding solo, like Dru B who is always the meanest, scariest thing in the woods regardless of time. Me, I freak myself out thinking some hermit or boogie man is going to get me when I'm out riding at night on trails by myself. Or that Dru B is going to get me which is even worse.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

like a bandit of the blackness, a thief in the night. sneaking, watching, lurking just around the next corner waiting for that chain slip and unexpected foot release. then i have you right where i want you... a sitck through the spokes, an over bar experience and its all over from there.... watch those shadows cannady, they just might be watching YOU.

in all reality, i had the same issue for some time. it can be a little nerve racking sometimes and your mind will definitely play tricks with your head if you let it. my vice........ HEADPHONES. almost NEVER go on a solo night ride without them.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

This winter it'll be dark at 5, and if it's snowing-

(To the tune of "Red Skies at night")

SNOW RIDE AT NIGHT (snow ride at night)

oh... oo-ooh. oh... oh... oh... oh oh oooooooooooh....

Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!

Fat tires optional.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by dru_b View Post
    in all reality, i had the same issue for some time. it can be a little nerve racking sometimes and your mind will definitely play tricks with your head if you let it. my vice........ HEADPHONES. almost NEVER go on a solo night ride without them.
    Ride with headphones!? How am I supposed to hear the mountain lion attacking me with headphones on!?... I guess you really don't have to worry about that in the Midwest. Maybe a rabid raccoon though. But seriously, I am ALWAYS on the look out for mountain lions while night riding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!"

^^ My new sig.^^

YAH MON!!!
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes