Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palos Meltdown

Default Palos Meltdown

Anybody done this race in the last couple years? I see 150+ novice racers each of the last 2 years, and I'm wondering how the start goes there. Is it first come first serve when lining up like all the other races?
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

Jake and I raced novice there last year. We sprinted out and were 1-2 going into the single track. They had a pretty long section of double track to thin the pack out.

It was a fun event. CAMBr knows what they're doing, FO SHO.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Jeff and I will most likely be there this year. Apparently, they have such a large turn out that they start everyone based on age group and class, rather than just one big novice bunch start.

I've heard that it's pretty rutted out. How bad is it, really? I have a hard time with really worn down trail sections (among uphill and downhill sections, roots, bridges, etc... lol).

Last year they did starts based on age groups- with the 30-39 class going off first. That was nice being we were the first to hit the woods and didn't have anyone to pass after.

I was excited when I crossed the finish line first, until I saw the results and a 40 and 20 something year old did it in a faster time. I was pretty happy with 3rd out of 100+

I thought it was a pretty good course- it obviously gets ridden a whole lot, similar to Sugarbottom. There are a few rough spots, but I didn't have to get off my bike and or wipe out.

It's a big time race- the atmosphere is awesome and there are tons of booths and vendors set up. I would like to go again this year, so let me know and we can get a good FORC representation again. I plan on doing sport even though you have to do the comp class to qualify for Illinois championship points. Comp class is like 22 miles so no thanks this year.

And really if it is a tough course, don't you want to challenge yourself and become a better racer/ rider?
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

I'm all for tough courses, I'd just like to have an idea what I'm getting into ahead of time. Macomb and Jubilee were tough, and I think I've come out a better rider after each of those. I couldn't imagine doing a 22mi race...

Default Maybe

I might be persuaded into trying this this year. How far of a drive would it be from Cedar Rapids? Or does anyone car pool?

If I can get in a little better shape and I need to get the fork on my niner rebuilt as I don't think I really want to ride a steel rigid single speed in this race. Keep me in the loop and I can see if I can make it work. Does sound like a fun race!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SSS View Post
    I might be persuaded into trying this this year. How far of a drive would it be from Cedar Rapids? Or does anyone car pool?

If I can get in a little better shape and I need to get the fork on my niner rebuilt as I don't think I really want to ride a steel rigid single speed in this race. Keep me in the loop and I can see if I can make it work. Does sound like a fun race!!

Steve
    Yo Steve! Get that thing working and come on down. I would say 2.5-3 hrs from CR, but you could always come down to the QC on Saturday and ride up there with us Sunday morning. I would ride that course SS, but I'd rather not race it with that setup.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    I'm in.
    Hell yeah you're in!

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    a 40 and 20 something year old did it in a faster time.
    They must have a decent amount of time between waves, or a decent amount of places to pass.

Race week!

So who's in? I'd like to get this figured out as far as who is all going and wanting to carpool Sunday morning. Let me know and we'll go up and represent!

Online registration ends tonight at midnight, so get registered and post up.

http://cambr.org/SMF/index.php?action=irace

You know, after seeing this thread, I feel like racing. If i can ride with you dudes, I'm in.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

All registered, just have to decide when I am going up now. Considering racing a crit on Saturday in Elk Grove and hitting up Lolla somewhere in there, too. Maybe a little track riding at the velodrome, too. Or just take the cheap option and ride up on Sunday with Jeff... probably the smart move. I certainly can't wait to race this one. Trails look super flowy.

looks like we've got myself, Raul, Russ, and Steve from CR in my truck.

we're gonna head outta the QC around 6:15am-ish to get up there in time for Steve to race Novice. the rest of us are gonna try our hand at Sport.

anyone else gonna join us? the Meltdown is a seriously good time.

what do you mean try our hand. we're gonna kick some tail...
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I'm frickin' stoked! Racing is so much fun. I plan to do this race every year I am able. Why wouldn't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    F'n A, Russ!

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    of course we are, Russ. relax. you're harshing my mellow. ;-)

I'll be there, but spending the weekend in Chicago, so we'll see you there.

Thanks for letting me tag along!! And thanks in advance for letting up early so I can race Novice!

I can't wait for Sunday!!

Steve

BTW - 177 pre-registered for the Novice race!

You guys racing CAT2 - are you racing sport or comp?

I am doing Sport. I'm not ready to compete for 20+ miles. I am certain all 3 of us are doing the 15 mile race.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Jordan and I are planning on heading up to Palos Saturday afternoon to ride/scout for photographing the race. We will be staying overnight somehow...

You guys packing some mud tires?