Thread: Heading Mountain Biking in Colorado! What to take?

Default Heading Mountain Biking in Colorado! What to take?

A couple of buds and I are heading out to Colorado (Vail area) in a few weeks. I've been out there about a million times skiing, but never mountain biking. Days 1 - 3 will host a ton of camping based, Minturn trail fun including a 30+ mile ride from Vail Pass, through the back bowls of Vail down to Minturn. We'll be camping as well the first few days and then heading to Trestle Park for some downhill shenanigans for a few days. My friends have done this for a few years now, and have a detailed list of equipment, spare parts, and gear to take. But my question for you mother-forcers, is, other than the normal, bare necessities, what would you take or better yet, not be caught dead without??? (ie: spare derailleur hangar, double sets of tubes, baby wipes, etc). Camping or bike related items please!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

You need my demo 9. session vail the whole time. gondola up, 30mph+ down
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

A few iof us do a short, hardcore drive-drink-ride-drive Colorado trip every fall to visit the Gunch in Golden so there are a couple things i would NOT miss.

1st- if logistics allow- swing by Valmont Bike Park. Plan to ride at least 4 hours, if inexperienced on jumps, start on the extra small jump lines and cross country stuff. You'll be moving to bigger jump lines in no time. Place is fantastic, but they call it the boneyard due to the number of broken bones every week. You have some good riding later in the week, so have fun but don't push it that far.

Call "Pedal Pushers" bike shop in Golden. They've got a deal for Trestle (Winter Park) that includes 2012 demo's of numerous types of bikes- (Session 8's, 383's etc.), full armor, all day lift ticket, full face helmet and complete insurance for about $120 (about $50 cheaper than norm, I think). In my opinion, this is the absolute way to go, and you can arrange it with a phone call, you don't even have to go there. For local riding I rented and Ibis Mojo there last year, too. If any of you rides an extra large or large, plan to get to trestle 90 minutes before the lift starts to ensure you get the size and bike you want.

AAAnd since you're in the area, you might ride keystone if you have a day. Same rental package will cost you more like $170 over there, and the trails are MUCH more technical, but they've got some blacks and double blacks that are just too cool to pass up. Helter and skelter trails will have you puckering, the bunny drops go up to 6 feet (it's a Blue rated trail) and the Drop Zone has some rated 10 to 18 feet or something like that if you want to push it. The corkscrew looks easy (ok, it is easy) but it's 13 feet above the ground at it's higheest point which will also make you pucker.

Ride fast, crash hard, die in a big ball of flames.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Most importantly, pick up some of this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate all the info!

Just remember to bring food that you don't need a fire or grill for while camping. The whole state is under a fire ban. Or plan on visiting the local hotspots. I recommend the Sandbar in Vail. I agree with Vibrato, Valmont is a must if you are near Boulder. (I'm a Boulder, CO resident who just moved here last week for school.)

Quote Originally Posted by BOCOChick View Post
    Just remember to bring food that you don't need a fire or grill for while camping.
    Oh yeah, good call. Probably should of pointed that out. If you need a guide for trails in Jefferson County hit me up. Oh, and if you're in Boulder hit up Avery's. Some really good beer to be had.