Thread: This May End the Bike Toss Competition...

Default This May End the Bike Toss Competition...

Now, I'm not saying I'd ever consider buying a department store bike, but anything that gets more mountain bikers introduced to the sport is a good thing to me. A little write-up on a department store Mongoose:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/bike-review-mongoose-xr200

No shame with starting out with a cheap bike, getting hooked, and then upgrading. Anyone remember my green machine!? I think there are some 'first bikes' stories to be had here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Interesting. As a mechanic that works on several Walmart bikes a day, I still wouldn't trust a thing on it. However, if it's all someone can afford and they can keep it in good working order, go at it.

My main gripe with dept. store bikes is the use of soft materials at critical points on the bike. I've seen those Genesis mountain bikes with plastic stems. Also, the fasteners seem to be of the lowest grade, very easily stripped out or sheared. BUT for 200 bucks, it's the perfect way to get in to the sport to even see if you like it!

Former owner of a Mongoose XR-200 2006-2011. Got me to work and back for a couple years!

There are not many of us 40+ age folks who didn't get their start on a Huffy! Too many of the great American made bikes have gone the way of the dinosaur.
    Its a real shame to see the great brands of yesterday suffer such indignity.

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    if it's all someone can afford and they can keep it in good working order, go at it.
    Amen, brotha. That's what it's all about.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."