Thread: Weekly Group Ride - Illiniwek Park - 6:00pm Thursday 5-17-12!

Default Weekly Group Ride - Illiniwek Park - 6:00pm Thursday 5-17-12!

Mother nature seems to be in a good mood this week! The Steward at Illiniwek has graciously offered to lead a group ride around, so let's meet in the parking lot and be ready to take off about 6pm!

Don't forget your post ride refreshments. I plan on having my small grill out there, feel free to bring something to throw on it (no for real this time, it'll be there!).

How was the ride?

I went...then realized I forgot my shoes. So, that was cool.

Saw some new(er) peeps in the parking lot and helped one of 'em swap a tube. Hope they were able to get out and ride.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I read this post Tuesday and went to SBP last night. Group ride was ten minutes from home, and I went to Sunderbruch. dumb ass...
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Beautiful weather and the trails were in great shape minus a few weedy areas. A good ride as usual. Smaller turnout than normal with seven riders, but we had a few people that I hadn't ridden with before tag along.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

At first I thought turn out could be low because of location but for a lot of people in the QC it has to be pretty close. I think some have the perception that it is all hills, or there is not much trail there. First let me tell you this park is very ride able for all. The south climb to the top is very well laid out and there are places you can rest if you need to and get started easily again. The climb on north is steep and switch backed but no reason you cant push your bike for a bit! The view from the overlook, and the loop up there is great! Secondly as far as mileage goes I don't know the exact mileage but if you ride up, do the loop twice come down and do the same on the other side you will have a good ride in. Go to Illiniwek!!!!!!!!!
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by ew_perry View Post
    .................... Go to Illiniwek!!!!!!!!!
    point blank. you'll love it.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

You all know how I feel about Illiniwek, but I like having the park mostly to myself, hell I go over there most days and it's just me, can't beat it:-)! So I say don't go to Illinwek, after all there is no technical stuff to ride, the hills are to hard, and on and on;-)! Just kidding, try it you'll like it!

JB

At first I thought turn out could be low because of location but for a lot of people in the QC it has to be pretty close. I think some have the perception that it is all hills, or there is not much trail there. First let me tell you this park is very ride able for all. The south climb to the top is very well laid out and there are places you can rest if you need to and get started easily again. The climb on north is steep and switch backed but no reason you cant push your bike for a bit! The view from the overlook, and the loop up there is great! Secondly as far as mileage goes I don't know the exact mileage but if you ride up, do the loop twice come down and do the same on the other side you will have a good ride in. Go to Illiniwek!!!!!!!!!
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

^this

I love Illiniwek. Wish I was able to get out there more than I have. Definitely an amazing trail system.

Typed a bunch of garb that could be misconstrued as calling out so I deleted. I think it would be worthwhile to consider forming a group ride crew similar to that of a trail crew. Reason is we ask a lot of our most active members. As in all aspects of society, seems that 10-20% do 80-90% of the work. Group rides are really important but not fair for me who rarely does trail days but contributes in other ways to question why a guy who does lots of trail work doesn't show up for a group ride. A nice core team committed to showing up and running a good group ride could be a good idea.

Other than a fairly small contingency of FORCers and no grill, I thought the ride was good. Nice to meet some. Dry enthusiastic dudes and always great to see Vonda! I love riding Illiniwek.

from my house in N-NW Dport. Sylvan 25 min, Sbp 20 min, Scp 20 min, Illiniwek 20 min. It's not too far, it's not too short, it's not too hard. It's pretty sweet.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Does anyone else read "^ this" as "F this"? Really throws me.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Does anyone else read "^ this" as "F this"? Really throws me.
    It means "I agree with what has been said."

Nothing malicious.

Really wish I didn't forget my shoes cuz I love riding Illiniwek and I was really looking forward to the group ride.

If this is pointed at me thats cool, some times in life things come up that force you to miss things you really want to do so you miss out! Tried to make it a little bit better ride for those that did show up by spending 2.5 hours weed wacking that morning. Sounds like you had a good time without me and hope to see you next time! Hey I did ride the Taco ride Wednesday night and didn't see you there, whats up with that?

JB
    Typed a bunch of garb that could be misconstrued as calling out so I deleted. I think it would be worthwhile to consider forming a group ride crew similar to that of a trail crew. Reason is we ask a lot of our most active members. As in all aspects of society, seems that 10-20% do 80-90% of the work. Group rides are really important but not fair for me who rarely does trail days but contributes in other ways to question why a guy who does lots of trail work doesn't show up for a group ride. A nice core team committed to showing up and running a good group ride could be a good idea.

Other than a fairly small contingency of FORCers and no grill, I thought the ride was good. Nice to meet some. Dry enthusiastic dudes and always great to see Vonda! I love riding Illiniwek.

from my house in N-NW Dport. Sylvan 25 min, Sbp 20 min, Scp 20 min, Illiniwek 20 min. It's not too far, it's not too short, it's not too hard. It's pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
    Tried to make it a little bit better ride for those that did show up by spending 2.5 hours weed wacking that morning.
    I love you, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    I love you, JB.
    Back at you man!

I'm so sorry, JB. No Man. Not calling you out at all. Not calling anyone out. I just found it funny (to me) that my initial reaction to the cars I saw in the parking lot was, "Where's So & So?" I'm not calling anyone out. That's my point. Even I had the fleeting thought of "How come this or that guy isn't here?" Which is the WRONG thought. The other day as I was leaving the place to be, Ray hollered out at me, "Hey Trail Day was great!" He was ribbing me b/c I wasn't there. I didn't take offense, but Dave was quick to say, "He's been working is ass off getting sponsors for the Fest..." See where I'm going? We do it to each other, we do it to ourselves - try to wear every single hat. Like you, JB, weed whacked for 2.5 hrs and probably still felt guilty that you weren't actually at the ride which is ridiculous. The point I was trying to make - clearly not very well - is that I wish we had 4 willing volunteers - people who don't currently hold an exec position, aren't currently on a trail crew, aren't on a committee - to commit to leading these weekly group rides. None of us can do it all. Perhaps there are others who would we willing to take up this very important opportunity.

JB, I would NEVER - EVER - call you out for anything club related. NEVER. Sorry you took it that way. You are kinda making my point, though. We put so much pressure on ourselves that we get self conscious. Believe it or not, you not being there never even popped into my mind. I really hope this is cleared up. I don't blame ANYONE for not being there. We all contribute in out own ways. We shouldn't tear ourselves or each other up over exactly how we contribute. Hope I'm making sense. I respect every damn one of you. Well, except for Farmboy.

Final point: Group rides are great. It would be even greater if a few peeps would volunteer to take the lead on them every week and not the same peeps that already do everything else. Please tell me I'm making sense...
    Dirt Don't Hurt

I'm so sorry, JB. No Man. Not calling you out at all. Not calling anyone out. I just found it funny (to me) that my initial reaction to the cars I saw in the parking lot was, "Where's So & So?" I'm not calling anyone out. That's my point. Even I had the fleeting thought of "How come this or that guy isn't here?" Which is the WRONG thought. The other day as I was leaving the place to be, Ray hollered out at me, "Hey Trail Day was great!" He was ribbing me b/c I wasn't there. I didn't take offense, but Dave was quick to say, "He's been working is ass off getting sponsors for the Fest..." See where I'm going? We do it to each other, we do it to ourselves - try to wear every single hat. Like you, JB, weed whacked for 2.5 hrs and probably still felt guilty that you weren't actually at the ride which is ridiculous. The point I was trying to make - clearly not very well - is that I wish we had 4 willing volunteers - people who don't currently hold an exec position, aren't currently on a trail crew, aren't on a committee - to commit to leading these weekly group rides. None of us can do it all. Perhaps there are others who would we willing to take up this very important opportunity.

JB, I would NEVER - EVER - call you out for anything club related. NEVER. Sorry you took it that way. You are kinda making my point, though. We put so much pressure on ourselves that we get self conscious. Believe it or not, you not being there never even popped into my mind. I really hope this is cleared up. I don't blame ANYONE for not being there. We all contribute in out own ways. We shouldn't tear ourselves or each other up over exactly how we contribute. Hope I'm making sense. I respect every damn one of you. Well, except for Farmboy.

Final point: Group rides are great. It would be even greater if a few peeps would volunteer to take the lead on them every week and not the same peeps that already do everything else. Please tell me I'm making sense...
    ^ this. ;-)

Fantastic post. Couldn't agree more.

If we all keep going at the rate we are I'd be surprised if most of us are around in a few years. Burn out sucks.

No worries Dirt I didn't know for sure what you were trying to say. But with you being on the MTB Dodge Ball Championship Team(good luck this year)and all it couldn't be all that bad, right?

JB