Thread: Stampede course

Default Stampede course

I'm sure the course hasn't been decided yet, but I'm wondering if a direction has been decided? Do we expect it to be the same as last year?

Just my 2 pennies - the start configuration last year was way better with the long loop through the loading dock to get single file.
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Sunderbruch

We have been doing a lot of recon out there trying to decide. The course has essentially been the same for the last couple years, so we are considering running it exactly opposite from last year with a few changes. There are a couple sections that need a little work but are minor. This direction is just as fun, fast, and has as much flow or more than previous courses.

I hope to have the course finalized, mapped out on the nice color Sylvan Trail Map, and posted once completed.

Still working out the logistics of the start, but yes, there will be some sort of parade lap to single file everyone before running them over the chip timing mat to start the first full lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kings View Post
    We have been doing a lot of recon out there trying to decide. The course has essentially been the same for the last couple years, so we are considering running it exactly opposite from last year with a few changes. There are a couple sections that need a little work but are minor. This direction is just as fun, fast, and has as much flow or more than previous courses.

I hope to have the course finalized, mapped out on the nice color Sylvan Trail Map, and posted once completed.

Still working out the logistics of the start, but yes, there will be some sort of parade lap to single file everyone before running them over the chip timing mat to start the first full lap.
    Don't let it out until we set it up the day before the race! That way everyone is in the same boat and no one has an advantage over anyone else. My two!

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
    Don't let it out until we set it up the day before the race! That way everyone is in the same boat and no one has an advantage over anyone else. My two!

JB
    I 100% agree- for different reasons- if you let the course be known early you will get HAMMERED from the peanut gallery 2nd guessing what you should have done. Do yourselves a favor and just keep it to yourselves till the saturday before. The people who will complain about this are the same ones who will stab you in the back if you post it up early.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    I 100% agree- for different reasons- if you let the course be known early you will get HAMMERED from the peanut gallery 2nd guessing what you should have done. Do yourselves a favor and just keep it to yourselves till the saturday before. The people who will complain about this are the same ones who will stab you in the back if you post it up early.
    X2. Locals have an advantage by being locals thus knowing every rock and root in the place. That should be enough. The thought of directing a race makes me cringe. You folks are good people.

Quote Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
    X2. Locals have an advantage by being locals thus knowing every rock and root in the place. That should be enough. The thought of directing a race makes me cringe. You folks are good people.
    it's Sylvan Island

the rocks and roots morph and evolve

we ride there year after year, mile after mile, and most of us still don't know every rock and root in the place

BUT, I *completely* understand what you're saying...Sylvan is just a completely different animal and yes, I am all for the practice of keeping the actual race course "hidden" until the very last minute.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Locals have an advantage by being locals thus knowing every rock and root in the place.
    Knowing all these things isn't really an advantage 'cause we mostly ride in the weeds while passing everyone...
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Saturday works for me. But.... Don't most races post their courses? I think the BP race has it on their flier. It might encourage more out of towners to head up/down/over if they knew they had an idea what to try to do (assuming they had military grade navagational skills). Since it would be public info, a non-club member wouldn't have to be suspicious that is was a club-only secret.

Anyways - thanks to everyone busting their butts trying to get the race put together.
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

I agree with Ben on this one. Although it is pretty tough to map out the course, if it is made public like all of the other races in the series, it encourages those to come out and ride to get a feel for what it will be like on race day. Everyone that has a race in their area has an advantage, that's just the nature of sport.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

I remember in the years prior showing people the course the weekend or two before hand that made the trip. That's not only good for our trails, but good for the economy because they go eat lunch and/or dinner at our local restaurants. Besides, if you keep it secret to only to a select few then those select few should automatically be disqualified from racing the course because they would have an unfair advantage... and something tells me the race directors would not be okay with not racing. Doesn't matter how well you know the course because a skilled mountain bike racer is going to take good lines regardless if they know the course or not. Plus, racing a course and riding a course is never the same experience. Just my two cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the past the course hasn't been announced or marked until the day before. Some people complained.

In the past the course has been announced or marked weeks before the race. Some people complained.

I agree with whatever our current Race Directors decide, that's why we elected them.

Now that I think about it, I've never even bothered to go look at a race course map before the day of/before the race. Farmdale comes to mind: "WWWHHHAAATTT, you're making us go up Horse Hill?!?! "
    Last edited by SweetSVT99; 04-04-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    In the past the course hasn't been announced or marked until the day before. Some people complained.

In the past the course has been announced or marked weeks before the race. Some people complained.

I agree with whatever our current Race Directors decide, that's why we elected them. "
    Nicely put. And that concludes this topic decision. Thank you for participating.

this thread has run its course, thankfully....but I wanted to point out this quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Doesn't matter how well you know the course because a skilled mountain bike racer is going to take good lines regardless if they know the course or not.
    I'm definitely not implying I'm a skilled racer, in fact far from it, especially at Sylvan. My lines are horrific out there. But, there is a TON of truth in what the Gunch speaks here.

ok, now I'm done.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."