Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sylvan Island Stampede!

Default Sylvan Island Stampede!

Just registered online for the race, so sh*t's getting serious...

Sport class will undoubtedly kick my arse this year, but hey, I like challenges and am looking forward to it quite a bit. I am planning on qualifying for the IHRS again this year, which means a minimum of 6 out of the 11 races. I think out of the 8 races I did last year I could name on one hand the number of FORCers that participated outside of the Stampede. I am really hoping this year there are more involved not only for some good times at races, but for you to challenge yourselves at area trails that are super fun and get healthy at the same time. I am happy to hear Bexter is going for it this year, I am confident she will do great...and she has a kick-ass 29er to boot!

So who is all racing the Illinois Series this year? Even if you can only make a few, they are a blast even if you aren't competing for a podium spot. I am going to get humbled in a major way this year, but I'm going to give it my best fo sho.

So let's make a good FORC showing this year like I have heard there has always been in the past and please let me know throughout the year if you plan on going. FORCers love to carpool!

o (FORC) April 15th Sylvan Island Stampede
    o (IVCA) May 6th Matthiessen Mountain Madness
    o (PAMBA) May 20th Black Partridge Open
    o (PAMBA) June 10th Jubilee Challenge
    o *(FORC) June 22nd-24th Midwest Mountain Bike Festival Scott County Park, not a race but a fun weekend not to miss!
    o (MACMTBC) July 8th Spring Lake Singletrack Classic
    o (OUTBACK) July 22nd Imagination Glen
    o (CAMBr) August 5th Palos Meltdown
    o (PAMBA) August 12th Wildlife Wild MTB race
    o (KMBC) August 25th- 26th Kickapoo Bash
    o (CORBA) September 9th Mud Sweat & Gears
     (PAMBA) September 22nd-23rd Farmdale Festival

Check out PAMBA's website for more info (Thanks to PAMBA for the awesome job they do hosting races and the entire series championship)

http://www.pambamtb.org/index.php?op...=228&Itemid=56

59 days and counting until the STAMPEDE!!
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

I am planning on :
    (FORC) April 15th Sylvan Island Stampede
    (PAMBA) May 20th Black Partridge Open
    June 16th -- Warrior Dash
    *(FORC) June 22nd-24th Midwest Mountain Bike Festival Scott County Park, not a race but a fun weekend not to miss!
    (MACMTBC) July 8th Spring Lake Singletrack Classic
    (CORBA) September 9th Mud Sweat & Gears
    (PAMBA) September 22nd-23rd Farmdale Festival

MAYBE:
    (IVCA) May 6th Matthiessen Mountain Madness (I have a 5K run the day before)
    (PAMBA) August 12th Wildlife Wild MTB race
    (CAMBr) August 5th Palos Meltdown
    (KMBC) August 25th- 26th Kickapoo Bash

NO:
    (PAMBA) June 10th Jubilee Challenge - I will be in Brown County
    (OUTBACK) July 22nd Imagination Glen
    I wanna ride!

What, no (LAMBA) July 1st Beverly FatTire Frenzy?

Oh, Illinois races, my bad :-)

I'll do it for the lulz!

I'm going to try to make most of them, and do the local Iowa series races too. I've done the Iowa races the last 2 years, and now it's time to try some new IL trails.

YES
    o (FORC) April 15th Sylvan Island Stampede
    o (IVCA) May 6th Matthiessen Mountain Madness
    o (PAMBA) May 20th Black Partridge Open
    o (PAMBA) June 10th Jubilee Challenge
    o *(FORC) June 22nd-24th Midwest Mountain Bike Festival Scott County Park, not a race but a fun weekend not to miss!
    o (MACMTBC) July 8th Spring Lake Singletrack Classic
    o (PAMBA) August 12th Wildlife Wild MTB race
     (PAMBA) September 22nd-23rd Farmdale Festival

Maybe
    o (CORBA) September 9th Mud Sweat & Gears

No
    o (OUTBACK) July 22nd Imagination Glen
    o (CAMBr) August 5th Palos Meltdown
    o (KMBC) August 25th- 26th Kickapoo Bash
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

All signed up for Stampede! Look out biaches!

Default SIS videos!

Some footage from previous SIS races:

So am about to do this April 15th Sylvan Island Stanpede for the first time got any tips ive been riding their for about 2years and found out about this?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loganthebiker View Post
    So am about to do this April 15th Sylvan Island Stanpede for the first time got any tips ive been riding their for about 2years and found out about this?
    Thanks
    The main goal you'll want to have is to have fun and don't worry about how you finish for your first time. Don't worry too much about going at your fastest pace, you will finish at a higher place if you concentrate on staying on your bike and being smart when passing or getting passed. There will be dudes you are racing against that are really fast, some that are slow and some in between. Just figure out where you stack up and ride at a good pace with those around you.

You'll also want to get on your bike a lot between now and then and figure out what your pace is going to be for the whole 7-8 miles. You don't want to burn yourself out at the start and not be able to have fun through the race. There are more races throughout the year if you feel like you could have done better. My first year racing the island I had no idea what to expect and finished around 50th place. The next year I had an idea of what I needed to do and ended up finishing pretty well. But the thing I remembered was it was something I love doing and having fun being the most important thing.

Welcome to your first race and we will be discussing the race and more at our club meeting next Monday (March 5th) at Sippi's Restaurant in Davenport at 6:30. Come on down and check it out. You can get lots of answers and tips there.

Cheers.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

well thanks for info about that i was woundering if the sponsors on here like sponsor people on it?
    and so am only 16 so what class is that for i should do first and about how hard the comption is for my age group

You don't want to burn yourself out at the start and not be able to have fun through the race.
    That's good advice. It really sucks going too hard at the start and bonk. You ought to try to hook up with some of us on the trail. We can give you a good idea of where you should expect to start and finish if we ride with you. Before long I'll be riding the island as much as possible (when it's open). I'd be glad to train with you.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by loganthebiker View Post
    and so am only 16 so what class is that for i should do first and about how hard the comption is for my age group
    Man, I wish I was racing at 16. I'm excited for you. Will be pulling for you, too. You should definitely try to hook up on a ride this weekend. Don't be bashful. We all may look old and ugly now (well except for badfish) but we're all 16 at heart. PM some of us too if u want Loganthebiker.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Registered for fat-bike class!

Default Trophies

Okay, racers, this is what you covet.

I hope you've been training hard and have a big mantel to display the gold on.
    These are for the Men's and Women's Novice class. Yes, you heard me right. We FORCers have love for the women racers too, so get out there and kick some tail ladies!

These are made of slag located on the island, some obvious bike parts, and the mtb's are made from barn nails. They're priceless works of art if you ask me...

Good Luck, race hard, and be safe.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Those are amazingly sweet on the eyes, Russ!!! Nice work!
    I wanna ride!

17. Default Junior's?

No usac junior's division for the stampede?

No, our "juniors" class is 19 and under. I'm sorry.
    I wanna ride!

19. Default

Got myself and both kids registered, looking forward to the race, always a great season opener.

WOW, Russ! Now I wish I was racing! Great job!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Those trophies look great Russ. Nice work.

He might not be able to make chili, but he can make some hella-cool trophies! Nice job Russ!

Bravo Russ, BRAVO!

I definitely treasure my stampede trophy from last year. No plastic, cookie cutter trophies even compare.

Makes me excited to watch the race and see who's gonna step up and take these home!

Don't forget, we are stuffing bags for the race starting at 6pm TONIGHT at Great River Brewery!

I went out to the race and about ahalf lap in I got a flat tire and the thing is i never got one there before and just happens I get one in the race somebody told me a buch of people had the same prob all was nxt year in the stampede still fun tho