Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sylvan Island Stampede!

My first race and chose to spin in the Maverick class. Freakin' awesome time. Great job to the race directors and all the volunteers! Thanks for a fun day.

Pretty sure my hangover was ten times worse after the race, anything waist up feels like I was hit by a bus, and my left knuckle is torn up from punching trees... in other words, awesome race! Everyone did a great job, and the course was awesome! That was the most fun I had on a bike in a long time. Thanks everyone for tolerating me for another weekend!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Pretty sure my hangover was ten times worse after the race, anything waist up feels like I was hit by a bus, and my left knuckle is torn up from punching trees... in other words, awesome race! Everyone did a great job, and the course was awesome! That was the most fun I had on a bike in a long time. Thanks everyone for tolerating me for another weekend!
    wish you coulda hung around longer!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    wish you coulda hung around longer!
    Yeah, it was a rush to get to the airport unfortunately. No worries, I'll be back for the Midwest Bike Fest, and I'll be taking a day off for it as well so I'll have a little more time. Plus, my wife might actually come stay longer than 12 hours that time.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=589139

We made the papers- Front Page in the Argus- and I saw Channel 6 and Channel 8 news this morning ran the Stampede, too.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Nice article, "Mr Nees"!!

What a race! Thanks to everyone that made it possible, you all know who you are. Makes me so happy to think about being part of such an awesome group of people that share the same passion that I do for mountain biking.

Back, shoulder and knees are hurting pretty good, but it was all worth it fo sho.

Thanks again for everyone that came out and made it an awesome event.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

I had a blast racing my first ever race, only a month after finishing my first mountain bike build. It's unfortunate that I couldn't stay off the ground - before and during the race. I'll be back next year, and I plan on racing many more times this year.

More than five years ago, Ray Nees, of Silvis, was a self-described fat smoker with a heart problem. -qconline.com, Jonathan Turner

And now you're an alcoholic mountain biker like the rest of us! Our hearts are great shape, but our kidney's are completely another story.

"Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    And now you're an alcoholic mountain biker like the rest of us! Our hearts are great shape, but our kidney's are completely another story.
    HA! I didn't tell him about the potential kidney/liver problems associated with the sport, but I'll drink to that!!

"The Passing fool"- NICE!
    Last edited by Vibrato; 04-16-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Awesome race! I had a great time and I didn't DFL! I learned a lot about my bike and myself in my first race. Too much tire pressure, handlebars were too low, and fatbikes do not like to be in the air. My legs and arms don't hurt but my mid-back is wrecked!

I can't wait until next year!

Lots of first timers out there yesterday having a great time. That was indeed AWESOME!

Did you all see that 12 year old kid kickin' but? Watching him take out one maybe two guys at the finish was sweet.

Today I'm thinking knee pads would have been a good idea yesterday. I'm gonna hobble around for the next two weeks when I could have been good had I been wearing some. They say, "if you're gonna be stupid you better be tough." I'm working on tough.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    What a race! Thanks to everyone that made it possible, you all know who you are. Makes me so happy to think about being part of such an awesome group of people that share the same passion that I do for mountain biking.
    Word.

Special thanks to Kings and Neips for giving up their opportunities to race in order to focus on the work needed to continue this awesome event. Gracias.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Special thanks to Kings and Neips for giving up their opportunities to race in order to focus on the work needed to continue this awesome event.
    Ditto. Everything went very smoothly which is a testament to the amount of work that was put into organizing the event. Big thanks to everyone involved.

I wanna call out Dave Brown and Carrol Brown- Seperately. These two do so much at every event that sometimes we refer to them as daveandcarrol, but they're both like the little engines that could. They don't get in a hurry, they just get it done- all day long.

In a group like this, its hard to stand out because EVERYONE is so passionate, fun and hardworking. Yet you two stand out at every event. Thanks for all your efforts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    I wanna call out Dave Brown and Carrol Brown- Seperately. These two do so much at every event that sometimes we refer to them as daveandcarrol, but they're both like the little engines that could. They don't get in a hurry, they just get it done- all day long.

In a group like this, its hard to stand out because EVERYONE is so passionate, fun and hardworking. Yet you two stand out at every event. Thanks for all your efforts!!
    +1

Thanks for the love guys, but Mudpixie & I want to send our own THANKYOU!! to all the volunteers. The Patrollers made my job easy, and Anna your work in the first-aid tent made the whole operation run like a swiss watch, thanks!
    Carol wants to send out her thanks to a great group working as course marshalls. Several of which don't ride but wanted to help and recognize a great time when they see one. I especially liked when Randy said "listening to the walkie-talkie chatter was cool...what's a sweep?" The racers who gave some time to stand in the woods before or after your race, couldn't have done it without you. Vonda and the registratti, smooth as silk. Kings & Neips seriously doods fantastic job!

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    fatbikes do not like to be in the air.
    Agreed- BUT, they can be trained to go in the air with hard work and patience.

NAH- Screw that- Patience is a mild form of apathy disguised as a virtue- go jump something!!

Dang that's a small picture.