Thread: Saturday 2/11/12 ride at Illiniwek 1pm

Default Saturday 2/11/12 ride at Illiniwek 1pm

The ride last weekend at Sylvan was a blast while the trails were frozen. We got in about an hour and a half before the top layer started to thaw and become slimy. I don't think thawing is going to be an issue this Saturday with a high of 22! Not going to Ray's this weekend, so hoping to get out and ride some. Depending on the wind and sunshine, thinking of riding Saturday afternoon sometime. Posting this to get you thinking about your options... 1 PM Saturday?

And, don't forget about the workday Sunday at Sunderbruch (at 9 AM).
    I wanna ride!

1pm sounds good

Awesome! If the weather changes (windy, or much colder than anticipated), I'll likely bail. But, I can do 22!!
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Bexter View Post
    Awesome! If the weather changes (windy, or much colder than anticipated), I'll likely bail. But, I can do 22!!
    Why Sylvan, at that temp you could ride most of the local parks? Illiniwek rides great when the trails are frozen, almost as good as summer riding!

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
    Why Sylvan, at that temp you could ride most of the local parks? Illiniwek rides great when the trails are frozen, almost as good as summer riding!

JB
    It would be nice to get out to Scocopa if they are open. We haven't ridden there in months!

Well, hell's bells! Good point JB! I'm so programmed for Sylvan. I'm good with any park. Name it Don. Assuming you already did when you mentioned SCP. Once you decide location, will you change the title on the thread yee ol' Webmastah?
    I wanna ride!

Well hawt diggity dawg Scocopa it is I reckon!

I haven't been on a mtb in about 8 weeks. It's killing me. Don if you can bring that extra bike I'll join you guys. I just called about my Specialized and he said he had it sprayed but when he pulled the tape, the black peeled off. So he needs to re-spray the green, clear coat it and then spray the black and clear it again. I may not have it back for a couple more weeks. FRICK!!! I'll barely have it in time for the Stampede
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    I haven't been on a mtb in about 8 weeks. It's killing me. Don if you can bring that extra bike I'll join you guys. I just called about my Specialized and he said he had it sprayed but when he pulled the tape, the black peeled off. So he needs to re-spray the green, clear coat it and then spray the black and clear it again. I may not have it back for a couple more weeks. FRICK!!! I'll barely have it in time for the Stampede
    I got your back yo. However I must warn you: V-BRAKES!

I'm confused...

...are they opening ScoCoPa when the ground is frozen?
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I think we are operating under the assumption that it will be open since it will be frozen. If not then we do Sunderbruch instead? :confused:

I'm just asking the question because FORC doesn't control the opening/closing of the trails at ScoCoPa, and like you, I don't know the protocol out there during the winter months.

It would be wise to call first.

Otherwise, of course Sunderbruch and Illiniwek would be open to ride due to the nice low temps this week.

I called earlier today and left a message with the park asking about riding there this Saturday on frozen trails. I'll post after they call back. If closed, we can decide where we want to go: Illiniwek or Sunder.
    I wanna ride!

I called earlier today and left a message with the park asking about riding there this Saturday on frozen trails. I'll post after they call back. If closed, we can decide where we want to go: Illiniwek or Sunder.

I am in.

I doubt ScoCoPa will be open, I drove through a couple weeks ago and stopped a ranger, he didn't sound too optimistic about the trail opening this winter.

I can't, but if I could you all know I would say ride Illiniwek!

JB

JB
    We'd do IFP but Kyla's bike is geared too steep. She'd be hikin a bike most of the time. It's Sunderbruch for us!

JB
    Illiniwek is the only trail system I haven't ridden yet, I vote Illiniwek. I would like to ride it for the 1st time with some people that have ridden it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy_3 View Post
    Illiniwek is the only trail system I haven't ridden yet, I vote Illiniwek. I would like to ride it for the 1st time with some people that have ridden it already.
    Ok I'm changing this thread to the Illiniwek ride thread. I'll start a new thread for a Sunderbruch ride

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Ok I'm changing this thread to the Illiniwek ride thread. I'll start a new thread for a Sunderbruch ride

I'll go to either Sunder or Illiniwek, whatever the majority is. Just placing my vote for Illiniwek.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    We'd do IFP but Kyla's bike is geared too steep. She'd be hikin a bike most of the time. It's Sunderbruch for us!
    Come on give me a break, there are no more hills at Illiniwek than there are at Sunder! Just like Illiniwek She'll have to walk up the hill just to start at sunder!

JB

She can climb Kickapoo up but that's pretty much the steepest longest grade she can do.

Plus we are getting kids at 3 and don't want to rush.
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 02-08-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Default Sco Co Pa is out

The ranger called back, left a message (couldn't answer phone, in a meeting). Says trails currently closed and he didn't forsee them being opened between now and Saturday, and that as far as Saturday, we could always call back on Saturday to see if they are open or check their website.If we wait til Saturday and then make the call, we may lose people. Let's go elsewhere Saturday and keep dreaming of the day we'll get to ride Sco Co Pa again. I like Illiniwek and SBP equally, have been to both quite a few times, so I am abstaining from voting. Let's go where the newer people want to go. The 29er and I will be tere!
    I wanna ride!

I'll be where my rental bike is.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

To add to the fun for Saturday, AG reminded me that there is a new brew tapping at Great River on Saturday at 1. If we go to Sunder, it's all that closer to GRB post-ride! I know Don and Kaylee have to get the kids after riding, but I don't...
    I wanna ride!