Thread: Hunting season and etiquette

Default Hunting season and etiquette

I got word that a hunter was harassing some MTBers, including my wife, in the Sunderbruch parking lot last night. I am told his complaints were that he had areas flagged and some stuff set up and we were scaring all the deer away and that the park should be closed for hunting season.

I've seen many hunters at SBP before and never had a problem with them but now I am wondering if there is some standard response we have for encounters such as this. Thanks!

I didn't even think hunters were allowed in parks especially that close to residential except specially sanctioned events. I definitely won't be riding sbp at all during deer season lol.

It's bow hunting only. They are allowed at Sunderbruch and some areas along Duck Creek during the season.

sounds like one a$$hole out of the bunch. He has no right to flag an area that others need to stay out of. He needs to find a better hunting area.
    Maybe our standard response should be something like, "we like to see the deer in the park, so I'm glad I scared them away."
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I called the park department to inquire and its true, bow hunting is allowed in davenport city parks and all private land greater than 3 acres from sept 15 thru jan 20. sdp is my favorite local spot, no way im staying out till jan. Heck im going on next day off, on Monday.
    Last edited by AG; 11-03-2012 at 08:16 AM.

The thing is you don't have to stay out of parks where hunting is allowed. Hunting is an opportunistic endeavor and if the weather is nice and people are mtbing then the opportunity is just not going to be there for the hunters. When the weather sucks and no one is riding then they will have a good opportunity.

By the way Geek, expect AG to modify your comment to something hilarious.

We've never had a problem with the hunters in the past. Be courteous and go about your business. If you catch flak from a hunter, shrug it off and move on.

...and be sure to wear bright colors!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Well think I should be sticking to sylvan till spring anyways me and these leaves aren't getting along. Couple minor problems at sbp last Sat. But today at scocop I got a reminder of what happens when u go over the bike at speed cause was pushing too fast on a Dh section that was heavy on leaves....

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Just strap on the fuzzy white seat pack and you'll be just fine!
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

I think this was just one bad whiny apple. He was younger and probably new so his expectations were likely shattered by the presence of so many people at the park. Keep calm and ride on!

It appeared the same two guys pulled up tonight when I was there. I was friendly and joked that I was wearing red. I asked if they had seen any deer. The one was grumpy and said last night yes but the bikers scared them away. They had a bottle of booze and hiked off into the woods. Angry, intoxicated bow hunters in the woods make me nervous. One biker that saw this avoided Blue Mound because one headed off that way. Most hunters are respectful but this situation does not look good.

It's funny that he said we are scaring the deer. I was face-to-face (15yds away) with two bucks for about 15 min. at sdp yesterday. They didn't seem too scared. In fact, if the doe hadn't come by the big one may have charged me. That was only the second sign that it is the "rut." The first was a couple out on the deck out there...maybe his fly was stuck and she was trying to get a better look at it.

ya deer dont seem too scared, till you yell anyways lol. First time I took my brother to Scocop a couple weeks ago I came within 10 ft of a face full of Deer Ass, as I stopped I was yelling back to my brother so he didnt come around the corner right into the back of me. They just looked at me till I yelled to him, then they took off. better watch the buck though, they can get pretty mean if a doe is near by.

And as for drunken hunters, ok thats seriously worrysome, those that do ride out there BE CAREFUL PLEASE, dont want to find out your head got mounted on a wall cause you were confused for a 10 pt buck

The city allowing hunters into parks and private land within the city limits is a fairly new thing, which was designed to help control the deere population around town. The city does not close the parks, so if the hunters want to use the land for that purpose, they need to understand that they will likely see other users out there utilizing the facilities as well. It is the price you pay for hunting a small parcel of land in an urban area.

Surely they would have been reminded of that when they took the test to obtain the permit to participate in the program...assuming they still require that.

Hunters? Bottles of booze? People getting busy on the Lookout Deck?
    Fester go to Cedar Rapids for 3 months and all hell break loose at Sunderbruch?!?

Hunters okay. Hunters w/ booze suspect and trashy. Don't like that. Bad apple. People getting busy on the deck? Probably my boy, JR, just doing his thang.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nothing to see here.
    I do not exist.

Thought it might be worth pointing out that deer are most active at and around dawn and dusk - this is when 99% of bow hunting will take place. If you are worried about it ride between 9am and 4pm and you probably won't see any hunters.

I've also been in contact with the City; they are aware of the situation with the hunter and they have read through this thread.

I ask everyone to be aware that this is a *public* forum and can be (and is) viewed by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
    Thought it might be worth pointing out that deer are most active at and around dawn and dusk - this is when 99% of bow hunting will take place. If you are worried about it ride between 9am and 4pm and you probably won't see any hunters.
    great advice...thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    We've never had a problem with the hunters in the past. Be courteous and go about your business. If you catch flak from a hunter, shrug it off and move on.

...and be sure to wear bright colors!
    +1

we've had issues with hunters in a few south jersey trails this year already. JORBA's solution: ride between 9:30-3:30 and wear bright orange windbreakers.
    Lance Lau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Put these babies on your handlebar and ride like hell!