A) Ok if you're young
    B) Not such a good idea but do-able
    C) Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by Trudat View Post
    How many of y'all would take a 26" hardtail out there? Be honest. Is it:

A) Ok if you're young
    B) Not such a good idea but do-able
    C) Hell no!
    I'd say mostly B. "Good idea" is in the eye of the beholder. These trails have been ridden for years and years, way before dual crown 8" suspension forks and gravity dropper seatposts. So, ya it's all do-able on a 26" hardtail.

I won't say that you wouldn't have as much fun as the dudes on 5-6" bikes because "fun" is extremely subjective. In the video above, it's gonna be a bit difficult to hold those kind of speeds and lines on a 26" hardtail.

If you're a speed/drop/blow-thru-fast-technical-chunk junkie then you may not enjoy yourself as much on a 26" hardtail.

Doesn't mean you won't be having fun, you just won't be going as fast.

No matter what bike you ride it's gonna be rough.

Me? I dream of a 5" or 6" 29er, full suspension, slack head angle (burro is STUPID steep), 2x10 setup (maybe even 1x10 on TWE), dropper seat post, burly rims with wide 'n beefy rubber...

My Ells Evolve (4" 29er full sus) showed it's limitations on that trail. Due the steep head angle (71deg) the bike was twitchy on the steep, techy downs. Definitely not confidence inspiring in those sections of trail. Does that mean it sucked and I didn't have fun? Hell no! I had a friggin' blast! But, I had difficulty holding the lines and speeds the dudes on the bigger bikes were taking.

Besides, if you have never been out there it's likely during your first ride you'll be stopping every 5 minutes to soak everything in anyway - so what's the point in going so damn fast?

Last edited by jimithng23; 02-11-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    Besides, if you have never been out there it's likely during your first ride you'll be stopping every 5 minutes to soak everything in anyway - so what's the point in going so damn fast?

Exactly! Eastern Utah is so damn beautiful you'll probably spend more time oohing and aahing at the scenery than bombing through tech sections at speeds so fast it would make your health insurers head spin! Take it all in and enjoy it at your own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Exactly! Eastern Utah is so damn beautiful you'll probably spend more time oohing and aahing at the scenery than bombing through tech sections at speeds so fast it would make your health insurers head spin! Take it all in and enjoy it at your own pace.
    ya ya...

BUT

bombing those trails is so much damn fun!! that's why you gotta go back a few times - once you've seen the scenery then you can challenge yourself by going faster!

"ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."