Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 2012 a "Moab" year?

Default Is 2012 a "Moab" year?

Sorry to stir this hornets nest, but just curious if this might be a possibility for this fall. I may need to start saving/training/day dreaming soon if so.
    Last edited by BD83; 02-02-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: not well grammer
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

Quote Originally Posted by BD83 View Post
    Sorry to stir this hornets nest, but just curious if this might be a possibility for this fall. I may need to start saving/training/day dreaming soon if so.
    Impossible! My wife is not pregnant, so it can't possibly be a Moab year...Could it?
    Dirt Don't Hurt

I'm in fo sho.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

I've heard the same rumors, but those rumors go around every year...

Aaaand every year, I make sure I've got the at least a weeks time off to use in early october. Just in case.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I'm planning on it and I've heard a couple others are too. It hasn't been made official yet. maybe at the next meeting.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

this is gonna be a tough one for me this year... Copper Harbor or Moab

waiting for the Moab trip coordination master to chime in...unfortunately he/she may/may not be in the country at this time......

"ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I might be in this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Really!

Ever run a jackhammer before?

If not, get prepared cuz that's what it feels like when you're done with this trail. And this is just one part of it.

How many of y'all would take a 26" hardtail out there? Be honest. Is it:

A) Ok if you're young
    B) Not such a good idea but do-able
    C) Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by Trudat View Post
    How many of y'all would take a 26" hardtail out there? Be honest. Is it:

A) Ok if you're young
    B) Not such a good idea but do-able
    C) Hell no!
    I'd say mostly B. "Good idea" is in the eye of the beholder. These trails have been ridden for years and years, way before dual crown 8" suspension forks and gravity dropper seatposts. So, ya it's all do-able on a 26" hardtail.

I won't say that you wouldn't have as much fun as the dudes on 5-6" bikes because "fun" is extremely subjective. In the video above, it's gonna be a bit difficult to hold those kind of speeds and lines on a 26" hardtail.

If you're a speed/drop/blow-thru-fast-technical-chunk junkie then you may not enjoy yourself as much on a 26" hardtail.

Doesn't mean you won't be having fun, you just won't be going as fast.

No matter what bike you ride it's gonna be rough.

Me? I dream of a 5" or 6" 29er, full suspension, slack head angle (burro is STUPID steep), 2x10 setup (maybe even 1x10 on TWE), dropper seat post, burly rims with wide 'n beefy rubber...

My Ells Evolve (4" 29er full sus) showed it's limitations on that trail. Due the steep head angle (71deg) the bike was twitchy on the steep, techy downs. Definitely not confidence inspiring in those sections of trail. Does that mean it sucked and I didn't have fun? Hell no! I had a friggin' blast! But, I had difficulty holding the lines and speeds the dudes on the bigger bikes were taking.

Besides, if you have never been out there it's likely during your first ride you'll be stopping every 5 minutes to soak everything in anyway - so what's the point in going so damn fast?

Last edited by jimithng23; 02-11-2012 at 04:40 PM.

On the whole enchilada, you want to rent a full suspention all mountain bike. It will beat the **** out of you on a hard tail. I would prolly rent a bike anyway 'cause it's cheap enough and saves the beating on your own bike, and there are a lot to choose from.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    Besides, if you have never been out there it's likely during your first ride you'll be stopping every 5 minutes to soak everything in anyway - so what's the point in going so damn fast?

Exactly! Eastern Utah is so damn beautiful you'll probably spend more time oohing and aahing at the scenery than bombing through tech sections at speeds so fast it would make your health insurers head spin! Take it all in and enjoy it at your own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Exactly! Eastern Utah is so damn beautiful you'll probably spend more time oohing and aahing at the scenery than bombing through tech sections at speeds so fast it would make your health insurers head spin! Take it all in and enjoy it at your own pace.
    ya ya...

BUT

bombing those trails is so much damn fun!! that's why you gotta go back a few times - once you've seen the scenery then you can challenge yourself by going faster!

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    On the whole enchilada, you want to rent a full suspention all mountain bike. It will beat the **** out of you on a hard tail. I would prolly rent a bike anyway 'cause it's cheap enough and saves the beating on your own bike, and there are a lot to choose from.
    I like this information. Thanks Russ. About how much Should one look at for rental or the whole shabang breaking it down some what by equipment, transporation, food, lodging and anything else one would need to know?

I think I spent around $700 last year- but that included renting an Ibis Mojo for a day, beer, gas, beer, food, beer, parts, hat, beer, t-shirt, lodging etc, etc... oh, and some beer for in the shower... BRILLIANT!

And here's a trip down memory lane thanks to Tim!

http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/9-fla...st-658503.html

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Oh, and don't forget the american breakfast buffet a tthe chinese restaurant. Coffee? Coffee? Coffee? BWAHAHAHA!

Aw hell, I guess I'm in

Last night I had a dream.

In this dream a group of FORCers, I think the count was 16 - SIXTEEN! - were getting ready to embark on the Greatest Trip Ever Part Deux.

The normal Moab Veterans were present but what made this particular dream so special was the 6 or 7 Moab virgins so eager to pop their proverbial cherries.

When the alarm went off at 4:45am I awoke to the painful reality of the morning workout, all the while trying to keep the dream alive.

Without being too picky about what I spent my money on, I think I was right in that 650-750 range for the last 2 trips. And, the first trip I had to buy a new rear dérailleur, hanger, chain, and cable. Last time, I spent more on stuff - sweatshirts, socks, etc.

Oh and plenty of money spent on beer. It worked out great on the last trip - we each took a turn buying a 30 pack (or case, whatever was available). BRILLIANT!

So, who's in?

I am having a hard time deciding on the Copper/Gnomefest trip or Moab, if they are both going to happen.

(cue the "both" responses)
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    I am having a hard time deciding on the Copper/Gnomefest trip or Moab, if they are both going to happen.

(cue the "both" responses)
    me too...but I'm leaning more this way than that. I can't pull off the Copper/Gnome trip in its entirety. can't be away from the wife & kids for a weekend+full week+another weekend. I may be able to pull off "just" Copper AND Moab. hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    I'm in fo sho.
    but, for you, which is it? ha!
    Last edited by jimithng23; 02-15-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff

Nice! I forgot about that.

It appears as thought there are beers to be drank whilst discussing this summer's mtb trips.

Meilke- In this dream, Were we in a double decker bus?! HA!

I've been to both twice, and both are most excellent trips. Moab through FORC seems to run every other year, (not "for sure" this year. Yet...) while Copper weekend is every year, and the week long Copper to Levis is being talked about after a year off, too. Maybe the doods that set these up could get the Moab week and the Copper to Levis week on alternating years so more peeps could do both instead of having to choose, but there's a ton of people so I'm sure both trips will be awesome.

I plan to do both- a 4 day weekend at Copper and the 10 days in Colorado/Utah, but if I HAD to choose one, it'd be Moab. The technical riding, new trails every day and the views are just unbeatable. Well worth the Stoopid drive across Stoopid Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    I plan to do both- a 4 day weekend at Copper and the 10 days in Colorado/Utah, but if I HAD to choose one, it'd be Moab. The technical riding, new trails every day and the views are just unbeatable. Well worth the Stoopid drive across Stoopid Nebraska.
    Does this mean your visiting me again this year? Best shoot me some dates now if you are. I have seven races already on schedule, and maybe more if I'm feeling it. As always, love to have you and anyone that tags along.

Heck Yeah, Gunch- I'm hoping to do THAT trip, too- Maybe with Poof this year! Valmont, Tressle, Keystone- what a trifecta! And white ranch at the Pink Puke trail head!! (LOL- Sorry to Dave, I couldn't help myself!)