Thread: 24/9 this year

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Default 24/9 this year

The old 24/9 website is still up and it's not the one that counts. Go to the grannie gear website and click on the 24/9 mile logo for info. Registration is here:

http://grannygear.com/Registration/s...mile&year=2009

Pricing on the front page is off- the cheaper prices are listed further in and you are given a total before you put in your credit card number- 24 hour Solo freak is now 24 hour just for fun. listed as $280.00 on the front page, it cost me $102.00. The cheaper prices are good to April 15th. Not sure on the team members prices.

The course- I'll compare it to Sylvan Island since that's where we've been riding so far. 1 lap at 9 mile is 14.5 miles, almost 4 of the proposed race course laps on Sylvan. That means EACH LAP is like the sport race at the stampede, and the technical difficulty of one 9 mile lap is 10 times that of 4 stampede laps. Sections of rock areas where the rocks are 8 inches tall, as wide and long as the back of a truck and laying 1 to 3 feet apart. Turn onto a single track and 100 yards in the 1st rock is 8 inches tall, it's dark, and you're on your 4th sport race in one day, ask Hot Jonny how that can turn out! Don't eat right, you hit the wall, eat wrong and you're leaning against a tree trying not to shat on your pretty pink FORC socks.

Other sections are soil but are out of time for a bike, if you've never experienced this- it is the most exhausting section of single track you will ever ride, at 4 in the morning. Even above average riders give up and just walk the bikes at times. Flat ground but up and down 8-12 inches with no timing to the tires is the best I can describe it.

Another section last year had been logged, it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it was tough. They use wood chips when they need to, a half mile of wood chips up hill will get your heart pumping. 30 miles an hour down a twisty pea gravel fire road, turn onto a down hill grass trail maintaining 30, and now it's a single track path, it's not straight, you're still going down and it's dark and you are over riding your light by about 10 mph. This will also get your heart pumping.

Next year we all may do a different one because they're raising the prices outrageously, so even if you go next year, this year may be the last big ballyhoo for FORC and PAMBA at the 24/9.

Don't miss it!!! Tons of class for 2-5 rider teams, 12 or 24 hours, sport and expert. Sorry, there are no beginner classes, beginners are discouraged from this event. You aren't a beginner. Join Us!!

I wanna ride my bike ALL DAY!! 24 hours at 9 Mile forest. July 25th @ 10 AM to July 26th at 10:00 AM, 2009. Last rider MUST cross the finish line after the 24 hours is up to be considered a finish.

-Vibrato

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Speaking of, does anyone want to be on my team? Me, Crash Pete, and Anne are doing the co-ed team class. We need one more. This is going to be a LOT of riding, and is going to take a LOT of training so please keep that in mind before you speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Speaking of, does anyone want to be on my team? Me, Crash Pete, and Anne are doing the co-ed team class. We need one more. This is going to be a LOT of riding, and is going to take a LOT of training so please keep that in mind before you speak up.
    no offense to Crash Pete here...but does anyone else see the glaring irony in this post? :burnout: seriously, pete, no offense...I love ya!

I would love this challenge...both physical and mental... however, with my pending fatherhood on the horizon, chances are I won't be able to get the necessary miles in to meet Gunchie's training standards.

Last edited by jimithng23; 04-02-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

I'm looking to do it. Not sure who with... depends on who's askin I suppose.?
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?