Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need help on buying a bike

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Personally I feel both are classified as 'trail bike'. A 29er is said to feel like a 26er with an inch of travel so a 100mm 29er would be comparable to 26er 120mm in my opinion. It really all depends on how you set it up. 29er with travel a 'racerboy' bike, that's just silly in my opinion. Ride both. There both great bikes. Yeah, I'm that peep that's agreeing now! But only because I love arguing with Ray so much.
    This is where you have to dig deeper though. It goes beyond suspension travel. Not all 100mm FS 29ers are equal.

For example, take a look at the difference in the head angle of the 2 bikes. The Trance is much more slack compared to the "racier" position on the hi-fi.

This is why mkh1972 needs to ride the 2 bikes to feel that there's a HUGE difference between the 2. AND, whatever he decides on, it will be because HE like it and it fit HIM (I'm assuming he's a dude.)

And Dons right. We're all here cuz we like to ride our bikes and HFDB.

Let's not lose sight of that!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Yeah, I'm that peep that's agreeing now! But only because I love arguing with Ray so much.
    And NOBODY does it better- Gunch, thats why I love you! 1st beers on me next time!

Now that I have a sec... Its not like FB said they were bananas and Volkswagons, I think the apples and oranges is a good comparison, both bikes are similar, sweet, juicy and will help you look good if you use'em every day- but there are some very real differences.

Disclaimer- Never owned a 5 inch or a 29er, but I ride distances that most technical guys won't touch, and I ride technical that most distance guys won't touch, so I'm a bit of an MTB anomoly. Take this as an uneducated opninion from a dood that ain't short of uneducated opinions.

Like Gunchie said- a 5 inch 26er fully and a 4 inch 29er fully could be classified as pretty dang similar, and that's why I think its not unusual for these two bikes to be in the running for the same position under a riders butt. However...

Suspension Bob seems to increase dramatically between the 4 and 5 inch mark these days. Add to that the wheel size and the effort to move along might be a little less on the Hi-Fi. However, with modern suspension that also may not be noticable if you're a smooth pedaller, and the Meastro suspension is remarkably similar to the DW link- which is very efficient and when set up right, can reduce it even more.

I think the biggest difference will be the way the combo of suspension and wheel size makes the bikes feel to you. The Hifi might feel a little firmer on the big stuff and smoother on the small stuff, while the trance might feel more plush on the big stuff, quicker in tight turns and more agile on high difficulty technical obstacles. This is why your riding style will make such a difference in what you like-

If you like a bike that "feels" more spread out, the trance may feel twitchy and ill mannered while the Hifi seems smooth and forgiving.
    If you like a tight, responsive feel, the trance may feel quick and agile while the hifi seems somewhat cumbersome.

There are doods at the trails on any given day that fall into both of these categories, and they all ride great- and have a great time. So back to the best advice I can give- ride both, figure out which has the combination of fun/comfortable/ fast/agile that you're looking for and then RIDE IT LIKE IT OWES YOU MONEY!

New bikes look best when they're on the trails!

Last edited by Vibrato; 02-02-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

29ers don't suck ;)

But only because I love arguing with Ray so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    And NOBODY does it better- Gunch
    DANGIT!

and here I thought I held that title all this time!

Last edited by jimithng23; 02-02-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Tim, looks like you're getting ready for Moab...
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    I am ASSuming you were referring to my post, which I think is the only one that could be construed as "arguing" in this thread. My post wasn't intended to as an argument of any sort, so my bad to mk and farmboy if it came off that way!
    All good from my end. I see the Trek 29er as a racerboy bike and the Giant Trance as a trail bike. You can see it differently if you wanna. The guy asked for an opinion in a public forum and everyone is entitled to give it.

I'll give my stinky opinion too! Get a fat bike!