Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help on buying a bike

Default need help on buying a bike

i am stuck trying to figure out what bike i want to get i like them both. the first one is a gaint trance x 26 " blue color and other is a trek 29er hi fi plus gary fisher collection both are full suspension what should i do ?

Have you ridden them both? The components on those two bikes are fairly similar, so it really should just come down to what you are more comfortable on. You can't go wrong with either!

Totally agree with Steve. It's a matter of which one fits / feels best to you. Both are good bikes!
    I wanna ride!

The great thing about the 2 bikes you've chosen to compare is you should be able to find a local shop for a demo. That's the most important thing like the peeps before have already pointed out.

Try to get a ride or three in on both bikes, make your comparisons, and then whatever decision you come to you'll know it was the best.

Have fun with it. The bike selecting/buying/building/customizing process is what keeps a lot of us in the sport!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Buy em both.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Those bikes in my opinion are not really apples to apples comparable. The trance, to me, is a trail bike meaning, it's an all day get a little gnarly if you so choose kinda bike. Where the hifi 29er is more of a racerboy bike. It's built to go fast.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

what size? I have a hifi pro 17.5 you can demo.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkn1 View Post
    what size? I have a hifi pro 17.5 you can demo.
    its a medium i think a 18" i am going over today to test ride

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

WOW! I kinda agree w farmboy- a 100 mm 29er is WAAAY different than a 120+ mm 26er. both are very good in their elements- but their elements are very different!

I think if you ride these two bikes- one will definitely feel better than the other depending on what style of rider you are.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't see where anyone said the bikes were apples to apples?

I agree with Rage, just buy 'em both!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Maybe I missed something, but I don't see where anyone said the bikes were apples to apples?

that sounds great i buy one and u can buy the other one for me too

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post

I don't think anyone did actually...I just think peeps are offering up a bit more knowledge and info to help the OP out a little.

some of these things are important to know when dropping that amount of coin on a bike!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

well get ahold of me at B&B if you'd like to take my Hifi pro out. now isn't the best time for test rides but if there are open trails I have no problem with sending you out with it. I wouldn't pin the Hifi as a "racerboy" bike as eluded to earlier. sure it can be raced, but it's also a well handling trail machine.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Meh, Some peeps care more about arguing than helping. They know who they are.

Searching for a new ride is a ton of fun! Enjoy the Hunt, Ride both as much as you can get away with to decide- they're both great bikes!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

These guys are all wrong. Don't buy either one. If you do, you could end up addicted to riding and the next thing you know, you're spending gobs of money on bike parts, beer, racing fees, and gas to get to all the crazy places to ride. Before you know it, you've crashed your bike into the garage and run it over. It's a real money pit. All it's good for is making you skinny and in some cases, single.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    Meh, Some peeps care more about arguing than helping. They know who they are.

Searching for a new ride is a ton of fun! Enjoy the Hunt, Ride both as much as you can get away with to decide- they're both great bikes!
    I am ASSuming you were referring to my post, which I think is the only one that could be construed as "arguing" in this thread. My post wasn't intended to as an argument of any sort, so my bad to mk and farmboy if it came off that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    ...and in some cases, single.
    Ha Ha!!!!
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    These guys are all wrong. Don't buy either one. If you do, you could end up addicted to riding and the next thing you know, you're spending gobs of money on bike parts, beer, racing fees, and gas to get to all the crazy places to ride. Before you know it, you've crashed your bike into the garage and run it over. It's a real money pit. All it's good for is making you skinny and in some cases, single.
    Truer words were never spoken

Make sure you keep us posted, Its fun for those of us not really looking for a bike to live vicariously (sp?) through you!!

And, told ya they know who they are. And what they're concerned with. I should take their picture. . . clique.

C'mon now guys, let's keep this civil.

Ya know, the first time Kyla and I met you guys (Vibrato, SweetSVT99, and some other fella) y'all were about to do the Blue Mound trail at Sunderbruch. I thought to myself "Wow, now that's what it's all about." Having fun riding awesome trails with your buddies. Am I wrong?

Nice...

Personally I feel both are classified as 'trail bike'. A 29er is said to feel like a 26er with an inch of travel so a 100mm 29er would be comparable to 26er 120mm in my opinion. It really all depends on how you set it up. I'd never call a 29er with travel a 'racerboy' bike, but that's just my opinion.

Personally I feel both are classified as 'trail bike'. A 29er is said to feel like a 26er with an inch of travel so a 100mm 29er would be comparable to 26er 120mm in my opinion. It really all depends on how you set it up. 29er with travel a 'racerboy' bike, that's just silly in my opinion. Ride both. There both great bikes. Yeah, I'm that peep that's agreeing now! But only because I love arguing with Ray so much.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    C'mon now guys, let's keep this civil.

Ya know, the first time Kyla and I met you guys (Vibrato, SweetSVT99, and some other fella) y'all were about to do the Blue Mound trail at Sunderbruch. I thought to myself "Wow, now that's what it's all about." Having fun riding awesome trails with your buddies. Am I wrong?
    +1
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes