Thread: buying a new bike

Default buying a new bike

Im just getting back into riding and I'm looking to buy a new bike. I like to ride singletrack, dirt, jump, ect. Im looking at a full susp. I kinda dig the giant anthem. What would you recommend looking at.

Thanks for all the different opinions. I test rode bikes this week and found the one that fit my riding stance the best. Cant wait to hit the trails with you all.
    Last edited by gussy27; 04-04-2009 at 02:23 AM. Reason: found a bike

Board Position
    President

I would start by reading this thread... t=221http://www.qcforc.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=221
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    I would start by reading this thread... t=221http://www.qcforc.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=221
    Yes that thread is a great thread for someone looking to do just XC, but if you're looking for a little more beef in a bike for Dirt Jumping, Drops or similar activities i'd highly suggest that you stick with 26" wheels as they are by far superior in those conditions.
    "Keep your flesh off the ground"

Quote Originally Posted by gussy27 View Post
    Im just getting back into riding and I'm looking to buy a new bike. I like to ride singletrack, dirt, jump, ect. Im looking at a full susp. I kinda dig the giant anthem. What would you recommend looking at.
    You need to decide exactly how much "jumping" you will actually be doing.

If it will be the main aspect of your riding, then you will most likely want to look at a beefy'er bike like The Fixxer suggested.

If you will be mostly on singletrack, with the occasional drop or jump, and some technical features, the Anthem will be a great bike for that. Heck, a TON of bikes would be great for that.

If you decide that you won't be jumping most of the time, I would give the 29er market a serious look. Go to one of the local bike shops and demo ride all different types of geometries: XC racers, Trail bikes, All-mountain ...and then ride the different suspensions: hardtails, full suspension, and rigid. It sounds like you may have your mind made up on the suspension though.

Also, I know where you can get a very nice full suspension bike for 42% off of retail: http://qcforc.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=268

Regardless, just make sure to demo as many bikes as you can and at the end you will be very happy with your decision. Good luck!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Like the man says- don't be afraid to ride bikes to get a feel for them. As for the anthem- I've got 2480 miles off road on my 07, and KRD has an 09 that he's pretty dang happy with.

Giants are a little like Metallica- too popular to be cool with the fringe wanna bes- (even though Giant makes a ton of the other brands frames, there's even a local good natured giant basher who doesn't realize that giant made the frame he rides all the time!! HA!!)

But there are a ton of great brands at the QC bike shops! Start with the bike shop closest to your house and check out bikes until you find the one that fits- you'll know it when you ride it for 2 minutes. It will "just feel right".

And don't be afraid to show up at a ride and give some of our bikes a try!! Sign up for the notification on the "lets ride" forum- Riding season is here and I'll bet there has been/will be at least 5 rides posted this week!!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fixxer View Post
    Yes that thread is a great thread for someone looking to do just XC, but if you're looking for a little more beef in a bike for Dirt Jumping, Drops or similar activities i'd highly suggest that you stick with 26" wheels as they are by far superior in those conditions.
    Upon opening my brain onto the keyboard without reading the full thread myself, I wish to retract the above quote.
    I wasn't meaning to say that you shouldn't read that thread, and if it sounded that way I apologize.

I would like to say that I think that the aformentioned thread is one of the finest threads on this website. It gives many great helpfull pieces of advice and is not manufacter biased.

It is truly a must read for any newer rider looking for advice on their next cycle purchase, and I'd like to nominate that thread to be stickied for future information seekers that need sound advice.
    http://www.qcforc.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=221

Definately consider your style of riding and get the right bike/s for whatever your future rides may be.:burnout:
    "Keep your flesh off the ground"

Default One bike??? Yeah, right...

Quote Originally Posted by gussy27 View Post
    Sounds like you need 3 bikes...AT LEAST!!!!

shhhhhhh. not yet, not yet. yer gonna scare the new guy away.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

I know my new 29'r flies just fine. You can jump just about anything if your smooth... not that I am... just sayin'. And yes, another two thumbs up for the previously identified thread.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    Giants are a little like Metallica- too popular to be cool with the fringe wanna bes- (even though Giant makes a ton of the other brands frames, there's even a local good natured giant basher who doesn't realize that giant made the frame he rides all the time!! HA!!)
    THIS HAS BEEN HILARIOUS!! I've had 4 people say they think this is funny because I was talking about them! Sorry Guys and Gals, I was actually talking about- MEILKE!! Good natured bashing, just sold his Giant made framed bike and is getting an ELSWORTH. Gotta admit- dudes got taste in bikes...

Gussy27- Weather is going to heck, but it will be back soon, Ride some bikes, decide, buy and we'll see you on the trails!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.