Thread: single speed

Default single speed

Any single-speed FORC'rs out there? I'm tempted to convert after pseudo-singlespeeding for the last few days.

Equipment recommendations?

Just buy a spacer kit for your current wheel. I run a 32-17 on a 29er. Not sure what is best for a 26" bike. If you dont have a eccentric BB or slotted rear chain stays you will need some sort of tensioner or run a half link chain. You should be able to get everything for under $50....... Good luck

Paul

i ordered the DMR single-speed conversion kit from Universal Cycles. Now how about chainring spacers so I can remove the big chainring up front? I'm having trouble sourcing them

Keep it local? Healthy Habits has tons. Personally I have been riding SS since 2001. -Huck

Quote Originally Posted by Huck will tell you View Post
    Keep it local? Healthy Habits has tons. Personally I have been riding SS since 2001. -Huck
    yea i talked to Blake on the phone and he was pretty enthusiastic about it. once i get the conversion kit ill have them help me work out all the little things

you can get spacers or run a chain ring guard. I have 1 or 2 extra aluminum ones if you want one for cheap....

Paul

actually, upon closer inspection, i was able to remove my largest chainring without requiring spacers! the smaller ring is riveted to the middle ring though so i'll have to figure something out there

for the weight weenies in the room i have eliminated almost a pound in parts by removing the largest chainring, front derailer and cables, and misc. parts from the front derailer shifter
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 10-17-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Final result...

2011 Raleigh Talus 4.0 SS by dgw2jr, on Flickr

Let me know how it works out for you. I had my Fisher set up with a singleator for a while and it was great... until the springs started breaking. I went through a few before I gave up and turned it into a 1x9. I'm happy-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    Let me know how it works out for you. I had my Fisher set up with a singleator for a while and it was great... until the springs started breaking. I went through a few before I gave up and turned it into a 1x9. I'm happy-ish.
    I avoided the Singulator due to cost and complaints I read in some reviews. The DMR tensioner I have has good reviews and is working well for me. No springs or anything, you just tighten it down and you're done. Also, I swapped my 620mm bars and 110mm stem for 685mm bars and 100mm stem. Climbing and breathing is much easier now.

Swapped out my SR Suntour XCT 106mm BCD crankset for a FSA Dynadrive crankset and Race Face 32 tooth chainring. Currently running a 16t cog in the back. I had a 19t and it was great for climbing but terrible for flats and maintaining momentum. Too much spinning.