Thread: where to ride this weekend?

Default where to ride this weekend?

I will be camping at westlake this weekend and would like to check out the trails in the area. I normally ride Sugar here at home so i'm good with climbing and flowy trails. What trail(s) should I make sure to hit?

Thanks,
    Mike

Sunderbruch (Davenport, IA) is closest to West Lake and it's a blast to ride! The main loop is green from which there are more difficult loops that branch off (both blue and black trails). The park has a nice mix of climbs and descents, technical trail features and fast flowy stuff. The park has roughly 6 1/2 miles of singletrack.

If you head North East from West Lake, you can hit Scott County Park in Parkview, IA. This system has 11 or 12 miles of single track and flows really nicely. Overall, less technical stuff than Sunderbruch and less climbing, but none the less a really fun place to ride (and there ARE technical things out there, but just fewer than Sunder). The rangers dictate when the trails are open or closed, so please call ahead to determine whether they are open (I know they were closed this morning from recent rains).

Next closest is Sylvan Island in Moline, IL. Sylvan is a world in of itself. The island is one mile in diameter in which there are all sorts of winding trails. There is no discernable elevation change, but the island is a blast to ride. Lots of technical features -- rocks, roots, rebar, concrete remnants from loading docks and building foundations, rock piles, log crossings, etc. We are able to get a 4 mile race course on the island, but you'd be best served to find a local to take you to get true appreciation for the flow of the island (I'm busy this weekend, or I'd offer to meet you).

Last, but furthest away is Illiniwek Park in Hampton, IL. This is our newest park and I think we're up to 4.5 miles of single track there. GREAT trails! Lots of bench work, decent climbs, fast flowy stuff, etc.

Let us know where you ended up riding and what you thought. Thanks for visiting the QCA!
    I wanna ride!

Sunderbruch FTW!

It involves a little driving but I would recommend to try and ride more than one park.

Got a chance to ride Scott County Park Sat am and absolutely loved it! Trails flowed well, were awesomely maintained, good mix of different trails, great place for a relaxing ride.

Rode Sunderbuch Sat after lunch, completely different set of trails from Scott County. Rode all the trails and man I was wishing I had my Epic 29er, lots of little climbs, way more technical, all around a great group of trails! And you can hit up the Church on the corner of Locust/Wisconsin for amazing Egg Rolls!

I thank you guys/gals for building such amazing trails and look forward to heading back out again soon!

On a side note are these trails open over the winter? I'm always looking for new places to take out the snow bike.

If any of you are out in the IC area and want someone to ride Sugar Bottom with let me know.

I don't know about Sco Co Pa, but the other 3 trails are open during winter. Snow or just frozen, it's all good. Watch our website to see when they are open / closed. One thing to watch out for is when the temps hover around 32. The ground gets slimy as the moisture comes out, the top layer gets soft, and that creates a bad situation for damaging the trails.
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    President

Scott County is also open year round. Though I have heard there is a lot of cross county skiing that goes on out there that make it a bit more challenging.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.