Thread: Status

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There has been casual discussion about this and Rage is 100% correct. The two big issues are 1) the current multi-purpose status (inclusive of equestrians) of the LT trails and 2) whether the FORC membership has the desire and member backing/willingness to perform the back-breaking work to maintain another park in addition to the four we currently maintain. We are starting to get spread thin, and it would be poor form to attempt to take something on and do poorly tarnishing FORC's image and impacting the land manager. LT does have amazing potential if we were able to secure approval from the County to build a separate bike/hike trail system out there with separate trail head from the equestrian trails. I am aware that the new ranger is supportive of mtn biking. But, before we embark down that road, we have more work to finish on our existing trails (Illiniwek, Sunderbruch and eventually the skills area at Sco Co Pa). After that, we as a club would have to decide whether we can support 5 trail systems. PAMBA is an example of an amazing club that had high aspirations that with time took its toll. The club fragmented in my opinion because of burn out from too many events and too many parks to maintain.
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Bexter View Post
    There has been casual discussion about this and Rage is 100% correct. The two big issues are 1) the current multi-purpose status (inclusive of equestrians) of the LT trails and 2) whether the FORC membership has the desire and member backing/willingness to perform the back-breaking work to maintain another park in addition to the four we currently maintain. We are starting to get spread thin, and it would be poor form to attempt to take something on and do poorly tarnishing FORC's image and impacting the land manager. LT does have amazing potential if we were able to secure approval from the County to build a separate bike/hike trail system out there with separate trail head from the equestrian trails. I am aware that the new ranger is supportive of mtn biking. But, before we embark down that road, we have more work to finish on our existing trails (Illiniwek, Sunderbruch and eventually the skills area at Sco Co Pa). After that, we as a club would have to decide whether we can support 5 trail systems. PAMBA is an example of an amazing club that had high aspirations that with time took its toll. The club fragmented in my opinion because of burn out from too many events and too many parks to maintain.
    What is planned for our existing parks?

been doing alot of lurking in the shadows lately and just read through this entire post again. loud thunder is an awesome area with tons of land, agreeable by all. BUT as for the right time being now to approach the reentry? i should step out on the no side right now. I havent been to a trail day at all this entire year and i can say the same for a MAJORITY of the general membership within forc. the select few that have taken time to build and maintain the systems we currently have running have done an awesome job and taking on more than we can handle will only thwart that effort.

BUT, if we are going to talk place to start building more trails, have we ever had SERIUOS talks with blackhawk state park? yes, i know its small and not much land, but look at illinewik and what it has become. blackhawk gives us another urban enviornment to work with. its sooper close to many so travel shouldnt be an issue. another chance to shine in dirt rag magazine in the making.......

just sayin.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......