Thread: LAST ONE! No Chick Left Behind -- Thursday 9/29/11 5:30 Sunderbruch Park

Default LAST ONE! No Chick Left Behind -- Thursday 9/29/11 5:30 Sunderbruch Park

We have ONE LAST "No Chick Left Behind" session this year and it's THIS THURSDAY (provided the trails are dry enough to ride) at Sunderbruch Park at 5:30 PM. It's been raining all day today and is supposed to continue through tomorrow. There is a chance that the trails at Sunderbruch won't be dry enough for Thursday. So, Please stay tuned to this thread for updates. Our alternative meeting location will be Sylvan Island because of its fantastic soil drainage.

Last week's ride at Scott County was excellent! Great weather, great trails, and a delightful group of ladies. Dinner afterward was also a highlight!

Spread the word if you know a gal who has contemplated riding but who hasn't come out. We have two new ladies coming for Thursdays session, so our pace will be very gentle. We will go over the basics, get some ride time in and session whatever areas along the trail that seem to give peopel fits.

What you need:
    A mountain bike (a hybrid will not suffice)
    Water -- water bottle, camelback, etc.
    A desire to learn

Then, stay tuned for upcoming postings in October for FORC's No ONE Left Behind rides (AKA Pink Sock rides). These are co-ed group rides where we enjoy a relaxed pace as a group, stop and session areas that riders want to better master, etc. They're fun rides that everyone can participate in!

Hope to see you Thursday (albeit not sure with this rain which park will win out). An update will be posted on Wednesday.
    I wanna ride!

Sadly, I just put it together that I will not be able to be there on Thursday night. EP and I are headed to Wisconsin to go camping. So have a great ride and malted beverage for me!

OK, I just talked to the trail steward at Sunderbruch about the condition of the trails after recent rain. He will run out and check the trails tonight and advise. He thinks that if we get no more rain, we'll be fine to meet at Sunderbruch on Thursday. If anything different, I will post an update.
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Bexter View Post
    OK, I just talked to the trail steward at Sunderbruch about the condition of the trails after recent rain. He will run out and check the trails tonight and advise. He thinks that if we get no more rain, we'll be fine to meet at Sunderbruch on Thursday. If anything different, I will post an update.
    Whew! I don't know how much more Sylvan Island I can stand! =P

Ladies, I'm sorry, but Mother Nature apparently didn't want us to ride tonight. Our NCLB sessions are done for 2011 (I'm really busy in October and couldn't commit to regular meetings). But I WOULD encourage you to post rides on the forum (http://www.qcforc.org/forum.php) and work on getting more and more saddle time. Your skills will continue to improve, I promise you. And, when you post a ride, especially if you're new (and there are lots of new people who are intimidated about posting rides on the forum... but I guarantee you they'd be delighted to have the opportunity to ride with other newish riders), specify your riding skill and anticipated speed (slow, medium or fast is acceptable). Just give others an idea what to expect so they can decide whether it is a group ride they'd want to join. Meeting people who have comparable skills is awesome!

Did you know that you can subscribe to threads on the FORC forum -- like the "Let's Ride" thread? You have to have a user ID for the forum and then just subscribe. You will be get email notifications when people post rides. This is a super handy feature! The other ones I like are the Open Forum and the Classifieds section. People are always selling stuff and it's often for very reasonable prices. So, where I was going with my babbling is that I'd encourage you to use the forum to put rides together as well as see when others post rides. DO JOIN IN ON THE RIDES! The more the merrier! You will meet neat people and you'll become better mtn bikers the more you ride. And, you'll make friends!

If you like what you experienced through the NCLB session, please consider joining FORC. We work dilligently to build and maintain our trail systems and part of membership dues finance the tools needed to get the work done. Of course, mandatory insurance premiums is another chunk. Last, dues help cover web hosting costs and make it possible for us to put on events such as our races and events (Sylvan Island Stampede, the Midwest Mtn Bike Fest, MTB 101 classes, etc). If you think we can do better, please please please offer your suggestions!!

It was a delight to ride with everyone and I look forward to seeing you on the trails!

Warmest regards, Bexter
    I wanna ride!