Thread: Blue Mound (Blue Mounds, WI) day trip - Sunday, October 9th

Default Blue Mound (Blue Mounds, WI) day trip - Sunday, October 9th

Day trip to Blue Mound Park in Blue Mounds, WI on Sunday October 9th for the day. We plan to leave the QCA at 7:30 AM. I have room for one more person and bike on the Subaru.

Blue Mound is a technically and physically challenging park. While not suitable for very new riders, anyone with some mtn biking experience under their tires will be OK. Anything overly challenging can always be walked!! I have done plenty of "hike-a-biking" at Blue myself and I suspect I'll be doing some when I go up in October -- the hills challenge me and the technical stuff keeps bringing me back for more. The WDNR website describes Blue trails:
    More than 15 miles of off-road, singletrack bike trails are carved into the hilly terrain for enthusiasts willing to take the challenge. The Overlode, Basalt and Pepper, Chert Dip, Gneiss and Smooth, and Holy Schist (*this one rocks technically!!!) trails offer spectacular views of the dolomite and chert outcroppings and challenges cyclist’s bike handling skills. The trailhead is at the pool parking lot.
    Fees: $10 vehicle parking fee per day for out of state vehicles and a $4 daily trail pass (too late to buy an annual pass).

Here's the WDNR website: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/bluemound/

Don't forget about the Grumpy Troll in Mt. Horeb (http://www.thegrumpytroll.com/) for post-ride camaraderie, nutrition and rehydration! My car WILL be going there after the ride!

Post up if you want to join in on the fun!
    I wanna ride!

I want to go but I can't commit just yet. So if there's still a seat open a few days before the 9th, I'll take it!

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

If the weather looks good I plan on going.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by ew_perry View Post
    If the weather looks good I plan on going.
    Same here.

I am so stoked about Blue! It's been two years since I've been there. Agreed, this trip is weather-dependent. If it's going to be crummy, I'm not going. A couple folks from Dubuque are going to make the trip as well, so my gameplan is to leave Rock Island by 7:30, swing by one of the gas stations along Brady Street to "pick up" our Davenport folks, then Dubuque but ultimately to arrive at Blue at 10:15 AM (this factors in drive-through breakfast and the stop in Dubuque). So, anyone who wants to do this group ride can either carpool/caravan or meet us there. We can be riding by 10:30ish.

Don't forget to bring extra tubes and even a spare tire. Pinch flats happen and occasionally so do sliced side walls.

Don't forget to bring money... the Grumpy Troll calls out to us!

We're going to have so much fun!!!!!!
    I wanna ride!

As tough as it's going to be, I'm gonna be out of touch a fair amount this next week thanks to a week in lovely Long Beach, CA! We are set for the trip to Blue Mounds unless the weather is horrible. I'll be back in action on Saturday Oct. 8th. Can't wait to hit Blue!!!!
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Weather looks like it should be good for the next week including Sunday. I can take my CRV and trailer for bikes. Room for three at this point. I already have a WI park sticker so my car saves us $10 on the day pass. Would leave from Port Byron IL.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

This is going to be a fun day! Got confirmation from 3 in Dubuque, 2 or 3 from Cedar Rapids and at least one from Peoria... Not to mention a group of FORCers!
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Ok. I am looking to make some firm plans for transportation on this trip. As I said before I am happy to drive. I can take two or three people with me. If just two others don't need trailer and will leave from my place in Davenport.

Does someone have room for me if my car is not needed?
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

We have room for you.
    I wanna ride!

Kind of late notice but I'd like to get in on this one, I up for riding with someone or driving. If I drive I have room for one and a couple extra bikes if needed.

Sweet Squirrel! I have room for a total of 4 ppl in my car and 3 bikes, so if we need more bike / people room, we can handle it between Squirrel and I.
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

So who is this group from FORC? So far I am seeing Bexter, Squirrel, & I? Is there a plan to leave from a central spot to car pool?
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

In addition to Steve-o and Karen Ketelson. Chris True, what about youuu?
    Last edited by Bexter; 10-07-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Steve and chris told me they can't make it.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Vonda is up North and she may meet us there.
    I wanna ride!