Thread: 29er vs 26" Hardtail

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

For the last 3 years both of my bikes have been 29ers (SS and Full-Sus). I recently switched back to a 26er full-sus bike and have ridden a friend's 26er SS. The 26ers feel much more fun (flickable) when doing any drops, jumps, etc. at speed. They both have their advantages - the 29ers definitely smooth out the trail but I can feel a little sluggishness in performance and handling (due to geometry and weight) when compared to a 26er of the same frame type. If I had to choose one bike, I would either have a 29er hard tail or a 26er full-sus. Just depends on your riding style and personal preference, I guess...I love having both!

I never planned on being in this debate, but here I am. I friggin' love my new 29er! I went from 26" hard tail to the other end of the spectrum with a 29" full suspension 130 mm front and back. I test rode many 29" bikes before the purchase. some had crap for acceleration and others did not. some felt big and others did not. I landed with a Specialized comp 29er and it corners better than my 26", climbs almost as good, desends better, and is just plain more fun to ride. There is one other 29er I liked a lot and it was a Spearfish. All bikes are different and so are all riders. try a bunch before you decide on one if you can.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.