Quote Originally Posted by Honestcox View Post
I got a Stumpjumper hardtail 29er this year and am extremely happy with it. I am not the worlds most technical rider but as I was riding around some of the close-in tree areas in Scott County this weekend I was thinking a 26" would be better on tight single track where you're turning in and out of trees, but overall I love the 29er. Hard to explain exactly why - I don't think I am any faster on it - just rolls over stuff better with the bigger wheels, which I suppose is the idea! I still have my old 26" bike, but it hasn't seen much action this year.
That's my favorite section at Scocopa! Anyway, while the 29er may roll over stuff easier, I have found I can get the same effect on my 26er if I just ride faster lol. For example, if I see a section coming up with a lot of roots or rocks I will just hammer it, stay light on the bike, and it will go where it needs to go. I figured this out when riding the Emma Carlin trails at Kettle Moraine and some trails at Devils Lake State Park, Wisconsin. After conquering some really steep rocky descents, I realized I would have been toast if I had been too cautious or slow through them.