Thread: Average speed?

Question Average speed?

Does anyone else here keep track of their average speed when riding the trails? I'm using Google My Tracks to keep track of my GPS info while riding. It has really helped improve my lap times. Now I want to see where we stand in comparison to some of you more experienced riders out there!

I've never used it before but I did try it out today when I hit the trails at Sylvan Island. I tracked one lap at a time around the island, the trail is marked for the up coming race. It seemed to work pretty good, gives you some good info. To bad it's on my phone and I had to keep it in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazin' View Post
    I've never used it before but I did try it out today when I hit the trails at Sylvan Island. I tracked one lap at a time around the island, the trail is marked for the up coming race. It seemed to work pretty good, gives you some good info. To bad it's on my phone and I had to keep it in my pocket.
    I have a lil bag that attaches to the bottom of my seat that I put my phone in. I can't ride with anything in my pockets.

My fastest lap so far was 11:15

Quote Originally Posted by Epoling View Post
    My fastest lap so far was 11:15
    On which loop?

That was on the track marked out with the orange spray paint, starting from the bridge and ending at the bridge

There is a upcoming triathlon in September and the biking part is on the island. They marked the route. My average time was around 12:00 minutes maybe a little more.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

There is a upcoming triathlon in September and the biking part is on the island. They marked the route. My average time was around 12:00 minutes maybe a little more.

Ah yes, the Taming of the Slough. I haven't ridden Sylvan Island yet. I've been clocking my rides at Sunderbruch and Scocopa for personal use. Not really prepping for any races.

Riding Sylvan this weekend with friends from out of town. None of us have been there yet and I can't post a new thread asking for a route, so maybe here is appropriate. Is there any way to ride the trails at Sylvan and hit most of it that a first timer could comprehend? I know there is a good way to do this at Sunderbruch by taking all rights once you get going and you get almost every bit of trail that way. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

On Saturday Sept 17th the Taming of the Slough is going at Sylvan. Not sure how much riding you'll get in that day, maybe in the late afternoon or evening. I'm sure someone knows that answer. Sylvan has no certain route to take, you just jump on a trail and go. Just be mindful that there are other riders out. There is nothing to technical on the island that I have come across yet. There might be a few spots that makes a beginner think twice but it's to bad. If I can ride it just about anyone can. Just keep your eyes and ears open and you guys should be fine. It's a fun place to ride with all different trails.

The island should be clear to ride after 11 AM on Saturday. The Taming of the Slough course is a very easy 2 mile course which is marked by orange paint on the ground. The trails wind around so much that it takes a few visits to the island to get a sense of direction and flow. We are able to eek out a 4-mile race course for the Sylvan Island Stampede -- double that of the Taming course. If you want me to post a ride for you til you have met your minimum number of posts, reply here with what you want posted. I will be racing the Taming on Saturday, otherwise I'd be happy to meet you. I have plans for Sat afternoon and Sunday.
    I wanna ride!

Geez, did not realize there was an event, maybe we will just make our quad cities day Sunday instead, or plan Sylvan last.

Thanks for the heads up!

Sorry for the double post, but I just saw Bexter's reply and I could use the post count :)

I don't have any times set, but the idea is to hit all four of your trails in a day early in our 4 day weekend in case we cant to come back for more before Tuesday! This (http://g.co/maps/hvhdd) is our route for the moment. We will hit Sunderbruch, Sylvan, Illiniwek and finally ScoCoPa on the way home. We are all in our first year of riding so not too quick but if anyone wants to join at any of our destinations once we have things ironed out I'd be happy to send texts or emails when we are planning to hit each trail.

I'd tell you my ave speed but then people will know what they need to beat.

Nothing too technical on the island!!? you haven't seen the good stuff yet.

the idea is to hit all four of your trails in a day
    I hope you're in good shape. that's a lot of riding.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Maybe our motors are not as prepared as we are crazy. If it is too much after a couple, we can always come back the next day :)

I'd hit Scott County first and see how you feel after that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm sure there spots on the island that are technical. I just haven't come across them yet. I usually do the course a few laps and then hit some of the other trails. There are some spots that I've come across that made me think twice before I jumped in and did it. I think it's a good place to ride for newbies like me.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Doing a Quadfecta? (4 systems in one day) All 4 parks combined, riding all the trails once is around 24/25 miles. The only problem we had when we did this was we started drinking after the 1st park, and since we were having fun we rode a LOT more than one lap at each park. By the time we got to the last park, it was getting late, we were hung over, hungry and rarin to get back to drinkin!

Sunder and Illiniwek are the only parks with tough climbs, Sylvan should be ridden as though it's just a big playground that you can't get lost on, cause it is. Scocopa is fast and flowy, but plenty of fun. At Scocopa, if you come to a trail on the right that has a small log crossing, and there is another trail about 10 ft farther up... head in the trail with the small log crossing. (the 1st one) This trail isn't super long, but it's crazy fun. Just look before you leap, be sure to gear down, and don't do anything you aren't comfortable with!

Have a great time!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I'm sure there spots on the island that are technical. I just haven't come across them yet. I usually do the course a few laps and then hit some of the other trails. There are some spots that I've come across that made me think twice before I jumped in and did it. I think it's a good place to ride for newbies like me.

We used to teach our MTB101 at Sylvan because it had fun stuff to play on but was also pretty easy. The Taming race course is very easy and geared toward barely-novice riders. There are a couple really neat fairly technical areas that we've been known to session at for a considerable time. Post up a ride and we'll take you out and have a ball!
    I wanna ride!