Thread: Crested Butte trip

Default Crested Butte trip

So, thinking about doing an out west bike ride, but this time in the Crested Butte area of Colorado. I was originally thinking October, but by that time there is snow on the ground and not really conducive to riding. So the new plan Sept 17-24.

These are the details I'm working with right now:

Leave here Saturday night (or Friday night depending on how we're feeling).

~20hrs to Crested Butte, hopefully get there before dark. 1285mi

This will be a camping trip to keep costs low, plus the temperatures are conducive to camping comfortably, though there may be a high altitude rain storm from time to time, should still be nice, views are killer. I have a 6 man tent and enough gear to make basecamp. You'd probably only need to bring sleeping bag, chip in for beer and food, and whatever gear you need to ride with.

Lake Irwin Campsite is $16 a day.

The campsite has an added benefit that it is also the trailhead for Dyke Trail which would be a great warmup trail (~7 miles) at altitude (10000 ft). Though it does not have hot showers, it is 5 miles from town and there are public showers there.

Trails I'm thinking about are the 401 in Crested Butte, Monarch Crest Trail in Salida, a few other local trails that are supposed to be "killer", such as Doctor's Park, Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's trail, and a few others in Gunnison.

The length of stay in Crested Butte can be variable. If we like it we can stay there longer or shorter. I was thinking about checking out either Durango (Hermosa Creek) or Fruita(18 Road, Zippety) for a couple days to end the trip, with the favor being Fruita for something a little different and closer to I-70 for quickness home.

Looking for up to 3 people to go in one car, more cars will be necessary if more people go.
    Shut up body and do what I tell you

At 10,000 feet getting a little snow isn't out the question. I'd bring a winter coat for camping. Gunnison is a must!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, Im prepared for that. Long sleeve polartech jerseys, wool jerseys, wool 3/4 knicker bibs, 85--fill goosedown sleeping bags. Hell, I'd be disappointed if it wasnt cold!
    Shut up body and do what I tell you