Thread: 2005 Trek 3400 upgrades?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am also planning on replacing my RST Gila T5 fork. The stanchions are moving around inside their housings and the front end shakes like crazy during heavy braking. I found the 2010 RockShox Dart 2 on pricepoint for 90 bucks. I can't really spend much more than that on it right now. Would you guys happen to know if I can reuse all the headset components and star nut? I read that some star nuts will come out the bottom of the fork steerer tube but some are tapered and the star nut can't come out.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I am also planning on replacing my RST Gila T5 fork. The stanchions are moving around inside their housings and the front end shakes like crazy during heavy braking. I found the 2010 RockShox Dart 2 on pricepoint for 90 bucks. I can't really spend much more than that on it right now. Would you guys happen to know if I can reuse all the headset components and star nut? I read that some star nuts will come out the bottom of the fork steerer tube but some are tapered and the star nut can't come out.
    If you can remove it without damage, you should be able to reuse it. I think I may have a couple starnuts laying around I'd be willing to give up, for say...a beer at the next FORC get together.

The crown race will come off with ease with the proper tool, and with much less ease with a screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    The crown race will come off with ease with the proper tool, and with much less ease with a screwdriver.
    A screwdriver isn't the proper tool? huh