Thread: Trail Direction and User Conflicts

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default Trail Direction and User Conflicts

Due to the increased popularity of the trails and a few limited sight lines around corners on the downhills we will eventually need to implement a trail direction policy to minimize user conflicts. I have caught wind of others having close calls and have also had a few myself and it is occurring often enough that it needs to be addressed.

Until we get signs indicating riding direction placed remember:
    - Hikers have right of way.
    - Riders who are climbing have the right of way.
    - Give a holla' or make a lot of noise when approaching blind corners.
    - Assume there is a rider/hiker on the other side of a blind corner.

Great points, Drew.

Only thing I would add is some specific language:

IMBA's Rule of the Trail - http://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail

#3. Control Your Bicycle: Inattention for even a moment could put yourself and others at risk. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and recommendations, and ride within your limits.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

It seems to me all the trails could be ran both ways if proper rules of the trail were folowed. Adhering to the rules and knowledge of the rules will make it a safer and more fun for all. I don't see a real need for a specific direction to be established if we follow the rules.

On a side note maybe directions could be established for peak riding hours. Every time I have been there it has been early morning and there is no one else there. I enjoy and applaud all the work that has been done there and commend the efforts of the people that established the trail routing.

It is a fun and challenging place to ride. I look foward to riding this in the snow. Yes I said SNOW!