Thread: Cycling Shorts Debate

Default Cycling Shorts Debate

I need some shorts that will be sufficient for 7 days of RAGBRAI. I would like to avoid paying $150 for something decent if at all possible.

Any good websites I should check out?

Is a $150 pair really that much better than an $80 pair?

Thanks for any advice.

The Zoic Black Market shorts w/ the assault liner are the best shorts I have ever had the pleasure of wearing (for the money). The belt is great in case you are feeling fat or skinny on a particular day. The pockets are perfect. The liner is comfortable and dries quickly. You can remove the liner and wear the shell as shorts...etc... It was recommended that I buy one size larger than normal b/c they run slim in the thighs and I am glad I took the advice. I went w/ the XL instead of the Lg. I think the waste would have fit fine but they would have been tight in the thighs. They are very comfortable and I have seem to be very well made for the money.

My 2 cents.
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!

Fox Sargent shorts are pretty good and are usually on sale at price point for about 50.00
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

my personal favorites would have to be the bellweather switchback. they have an included liner short that is removable ( similar to chris') allowing them to become just plain ole shorts and take the liner short to make any plain ole short into a set of baggy riding shorts. they have a zippered pocket on both legs and also regular "hand" style pockets in front. the liner short is comfortable for the terrain around here plus they have done me solid for extended rides. (although for the tomrov ride home (89)miles or so, i did get a little of the "red ass" goin on. i will still wear these as my primaries for my portion of ragbrai.

see em here..

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/.../0f36a06c/1406
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Krud wears jeans, it seems to work for him. :)

Sorry, I forgot to include the link...
    http://www.zoic.com/mensmtbshorts

It looks like HuckNRoll has different colors on sale w/ good pictures.
    http://www.hucknroll.com/zoic-black-...2-001b2166becc

My favorite are Giordana brand bike shorts. A little pricey, but when it comes to comfort while doing endurance riding I think it's worth it. I've done lots of 4+ hour training/racing rides with them and couldn't image using anything else. I think mine are the same quality of the silverline or laser series shorts: http://www.gitabike.com/cgi-bin/shop...=giordana.html Baggies with built in biker shorts are great, but the pad is never going to be as nice as ones found in your traditional bike shorts. Your better off buying the bike short and the baggy to over them separately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks everyone for the advice and the links.

Gunchie, that's kind of what I'm most concerned about is the padding and comfort for long rides. Sure, pockets would be nice and I would much rather walk around in baggies, but what do you Forc'rs wear when the trails are wet and you take the road bike out for those long rides?

Where'd you get em and how much were they?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trudat View Post
    ...what do you Forc'rs wear when the trails are wet and you take the road bike out for those long rides?

PlumSmugglers. Basic lycra bike shorts, get 'em anywhere, ~$40 will set you up.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trudat View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice and the links.

Gunchie, that's kind of what I'm most concerned about is the padding and comfort for long rides. Sure, pockets would be nice and I would much rather walk around in baggies, but what do you Forc'rs wear when the trails are wet and you take the road bike out for those long rides?

Thanks again.
    I got mine on clearance at a bike shop so that's not much use to you now. No matter what brand you go with make sure to take a good look at the pad. A good pad will have look something like this: http://www.giordana.com/en/collezioni/fondelli/mc3-. It has lines in it that fold to your contours. If the pad doesn't have any lines and looks like a big maxi pad then it's low quality and personally I wouldn't mess around with it. Also, if it looks like it is mesh I wouldn't buy them either. Trust me, the first time you peel the pad off yourself after a long ride you know why. Both of these pads are fine for less then two hours, but in my opinion it's worth spending the extra money for a better pad for long endurance rides. Who knows, you may find an awesome deal out there that doesn't break the bank. Also, I strongly suggest a good lubricant like Chamois Butt'r as well.
    Last edited by Gunchie; 07-11-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Here's a good pair: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...8_20000_400065. I have a pair of the Ultra series shorts myself and use them all the time for training. Longest I've gone with them is 3:30 hours and didn't have an issue with discomfort.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

I've had two pairs with the pads like gunchie posted, longest rides were 12 hours in each pair- back to back for 24 hours straight.

I had a little rash on the upper back of one leg- but no problems with the "normal" problem areas. It REALLY helps to get a pair of good shorts, and then ride long rides in them before your main event to get your body acclimated to the contact points etc.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Okay, now I am not trying to give my opinion anymore, but rather, learn...
    How is the liner of the shorts I mentioned any different (other than being much cheaper) than the ones Gunchie is mentioning? These have everything mentioned PLUS a shell w/ pockets. These are removable and could be worn w/ any other shorts just like the Lycra shorts from the more expensive links posted.
    http://www.hucknroll.com/zoic-black-...2-001b2166becc

I don't know. The grey material sewn onto the pad looks like it would cause some chaffing after two hours. And I can't see that mesh material stretching with the body as well as Lycra either which could cause some issues. Who knows, maybe they would be comfortable at 2+ hours. I have a pair of baggies with a linear in them and I love them for 2 hour or less rides. You just have to remember that things that feel comfortable after 2 hours may start chaffing after 3 hours of continuous riding. I guess I just prefer having on something that's high quality then risking it. Nothing ruins your day like not being able to sit on your saddle without being in pain. And just because I ride with high quality bike shorts doesn't mean I paid full price... that's just crazy! $150 for bike shorts!? Never! Give me last years model under $100.

Chris, I've got a pair now that the insert looks EXACTLY like these, and they're GREAT! Seriously, I'm going to buy at least one more pair and maybe two more. The only thing is my longest ride in these so far is about 90 minutes- nowhere near long enough for me to give a recomendation for an endurance distance ride 7 days in a row.

I can tell you that if I do more extreme distance stuff, I will be trying these out for it because I do like the way they fit, move and breath. These are excellent riding shorts!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Vibrato,
    I don't know exactly how many minutes or miles I wore mine at the MWMBF and Sugar Bottom on a different occasion , but I know it was way more than 90 min. I rode, ScoCoPa (10-11 miles ?), Illiniwek (5-6 miles ?), and Sylvan (at least 6 miles there that day) all in one day wearing them. I rode 2.5 laps at Sugar (guessing about 30 miles or about 3.5 hrs) wearing them the other day.
    All I can say is that once I got the elastic around my thigh situated to where I like it; I literally forgot I had them on for awhile (I even mentioned that to someone I was riding w/). All that and under $60? I'm sold!
    Only thing I wish they had (not even sure if there is a pair out there w/ this feature) is a waterproof pocket from the inside out b/c I sweat so much! I want to protect electronics from sweat. It has this awesome pocket and loop for an MP3 player and running the cord through, but I am afraid to use it until cooler weather b/c I think the MP3 would eventually get too much sweat on it from my sweat factory!

I am happy with the REI brand Novara shorts - both their double rail shorts or their traditional road bike shorts. They also have a no hassle return policy - even if you wear them and decide you don't like them, they will take them back. They only ask that you launder them first. Their closest store is Chicago area, but of course you can order online. I wore the road bike shorts on a 10+ hour 100 mile mountain bike ride and they were great. They are reasonably priced too.

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=450012...Brand%2CNovara

At Brown County this weekend, we were having a shorts on long rides talk and Bob ?? from Pamba let us in on one of Howie's secrets. Howie has done numerous 24 hour races solo and does long training rides a lot so his experience might be worth looking at, even though this sounds unorthodox...

Howie wears 2 pairs of riding shorts at the same time, one over hte other. Bob says it's so comfortable that he's been doing it for regular rides and wouldn't have it any other way. (and he was wearing two pairs with butter at the time we were discussing this)

Food for thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    At Brown County this weekend, we were having a shorts on long rides talk and Bob ?? from Pamba let us in on one of Howie's secrets. Howie has done numerous 24 hour races solo and does long training rides a lot so his experience might be worth looking at, even though this sounds unorthodox...

Howie wears 2 pairs of riding shorts at the same time, one over hte other. Bob says it's so comfortable that he's been doing it for regular rides and wouldn't have it any other way. (and he was wearing two pairs with butter at the time we were discussing this)

Food for thought!
    Creating more laundry than what I have to!? Blasphemy! Last race I forgot my beloved Chamois Butt'r so I had to ride the 50 miler dry. I found that I developed all the right calluses in all the wrong areas.... At this point I don't know if it really matters what shorts I wear. Whatever works best for you I guess.

Default Good Cycling Shorts

I ended up with Mt. Borah Pro Shorts from Bike One in Moline. They retail for $70. I wore them all 454 miles of RAGBRAI and they treated me well. Very comfortable, no rash, no chafing, no butt cream needed!

Here's what the pad looks like.
    http://www.bikesonline.com/mt-borah-...t-black-lg.htm