Thread: 'Fest Prep Trail Day this Sunday 6/19 @ 9am

Default 'Fest Prep Trail Day this Sunday 6/19 @ 9am

Prelude - The trails are open! <---- so much for that! friggin rain!

With everyone's hard work whackin weeds, I think that gave the trails a little "breathing room" and they're drying out quicker than they had in the last few weeks. The humidity has been down too, so I'm sure that contributed...but I digress...

Here's what we gotta do:

1. clear downed trees - the winds from the storms of the past few days have knocked down some ol' leaners...need to get out and get them off the trail. maybe we can make some cool features with the logs we cut up...?

2. clear arm grabbers and face slappers. it's getting a bit sloppy...who wants to have a face slapper scratch up their new riding glasses?!

3. touch up the weeds here and there. make it look nice for our Fester friends!

4. minor dirt work. depending on available man-power, there are some spots that could use some de-berming and re-working. nothing major, just a lil TLC.

bring: loppers, chainsaws, flat shovels, weed trimmers (I'll have the 2 FORC just bought), and any other tools you think could help. also, you'll definitely want pants - I wore shorts last week 'cause it was 95 friggin degrees and now my legs are covered with the ivy. I wish I would've sacrificed an afternoon's comfort to be ivy-free. UGH.

must brings: beverages of choice (read - beer) and a munchie or two.

I'M COUNTING ON 10-12 people showing up. If we get that kind of turnout, which is really low according to past Sunderbruch trail day standards, we should get this stuff knocked out in a few short hours and be able to return home to our families to enjoy Father's Day shenanigans OR to go do whatever it is that you do for fun on a Sunday (read - drink beer).

See ya there!

The 'Fest is here in less than 2 weeks! Let's make sure Davenport's "Crown Jewel" of off-road riding is sparkling!

Last edited by jimithng23; 06-14-2011 at 08:39 AM.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Bumping this thread back to the top...

If you're concerned about the weather or the condition of the trails, subscribe to this forum/thread for updates as I'll post them throughout the next coming days.

The forecast is calling for scattered t-storms and whatnot all weekend long...

BRING YOUR CHAINSAWS!!!

we have 9 trees down...cutting trees, whacking weeds, and dirt work are going to be the top priorities on Sunday.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Saw will be there... me too
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkn1 View Post
    Saw will be there... me too
    most excellent

I'll be there. Hopefully the trails will be open by the time we're done.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole'72 View Post
    I'll be there. Hopefully the trails will be open by the time we're done.
    pulled a recon ride tonight...

12 trees down

all of Rock Cut needs weed-whacked

top of LT (old GangGreene) needs weed-whacked

most of Palos needs weed-whacked

the whole thing needs lopper'd

dirt is good, just a few wet spots here and there but nothing to be overly concerned with

whoever's comin out tomorrow morning, see ya there!

Radar looks good

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post

all of Rock Cut needs weed-whacked
    i thought i just did that 2 weeks ago or so, did i do the wrong trail? anyhow, whatever i whacked needed it.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Quote Originally Posted by dru_b View Post
    i thought i just did that 2 weeks ago or so, did i do the wrong trail? anyhow, whatever i whacked needed it.
    I've got no doubt you were out there, you were just somewhere other than Rock Cut ;-)

Thanks for your help!

...and for all of you that made it out this morning to get Sunderbruch ready for the 'Festers........

a HUGE THANK YOU

17 people, 51 total hours of work done!

This club has a way of getting things done, last minute or not, and you all make me proud to be a part of FORC!

Even though we put in 51 hours today, we STILL have some weed whacking to do. Lee is going to head out and finish off Rock Cut tomorrow. The green trail after the LT exit on up to Jubilee needs weed whacked as well. Lee will let me know how much he gets done tomorrow, so stay tuned to this thread if someone out there wants to contribute before the 'Fest gets here.

Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by jimithng23; 06-19-2011 at 09:20 PM.

i've got no doubt you were out there, you were just somewhere other than rock cut ;-)

elcothanks for your help!

...and for all of you that made it out this morning to get sunderbruch ready for the 'festers........

A huge thank you

This club has a way of getting things done, last minute or not, and you all make me proud to be a part of forc!

Even though we put in 51 hours today, we still have some weed whacking to do. Lee is going to head out and finish off rock cut tomorrow. The green trail after the lt exit on up to jubilee needs weed whacked as well. Lee will let me know how much he gets done tomorrow, so stay tuned to this thread if someone out there wants to contribute before the 'fest gets here.

Thanks again everyone!
    your welcome!

Even though we put in 51 hours today, we STILL have some weed whacking to do. Lee is going to head out and finish off Rock Cut tomorrow. The green trail after the LT exit on up to Jubilee needs weed whacked as well. Lee will let me know how much he gets done tomorrow, so stay tuned to this thread if someone out there wants to contribute before the 'Fest gets here.
    I'm not sure if you saw him since he was pretty much working solo and finished after you split but the new guy, Joel, was there whacking for about 3 hours. Joel is the guy who wore the FORC jersey in the Quad City Criterium. If I may be so bold as to suggest a nickname for someone, I'd recommend that Joel by hereby known as "Critter."

In addition to the places you pointed out, I also noticed the Green trail that goes around the Watermelon could use a whacking.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

^^^ noted in the maintenance log. I had him in there as "Joe".