Thread: safety for hiking families

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default safety for hiking families

Hello, I am planning a hiking outing at Sunderbruch Park for my family. We have two small children. My question is how can I be sure that my family will be safe on the trail and not be run over by a mountain biker? ARe there specific trails we should stay on? We do not want to be on cement...we want the true hiking adventure, in the woods. What can you tell us about how to be safe on the trails at Sunderbruch? Thank you. Mary Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Hello, I am planning a hiking outing at Sunderbruch Park for my family. We have two small children. My question is how can I be sure that my family will be safe on the trail and not be run over by a mountain biker? ARe there specific trails we should stay on? We do not want to be on cement...we want the true hiking adventure, in the woods. What can you tell us about how to be safe on the trails at Sunderbruch? Thank you. Mary Jackson
    Mary,

There is, of course, always a certain amount of danger when it comes to off road pedestrian trails. FORC members always try to adhere to the IMBA Rules of the Trail, which means that in most cases a mountain biker will yield to other non-motorized trail users: http://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail

Remember that there is a bad apple or two in every group, and also that not every rider that you may encounter at SBP will be a FORC member.

Although bikes yield to pedestrians, it's always a good idea to step to the side of the trail when a biker is passing. A good biker will slow down to pass you at a controlled speed, and be very thankful for your courtesy since you technically have the right a way. I'm sure you'll have a fun and safe outing and hope you enjoy our trails!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may also want to consider wearing bright visible colors. We see hikers at Sunderbruch all the time, never seen anything close to being a problem. Have fun!

A bit off topic, the trails are color coded in terms of difficultly with green trails being easiest, blue being intermediate and black diamond being challenging. Enjoy!!!!
    I wanna ride!