Thread: eyewear

Default eyewear

im in need of a GOOD but not $200 worth pair of riding glasses. who wears what, pros/cons of them, where'd ya get em and how much, and lastly, would you recommend them to a friend.

thanks for your support.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Tifosi's with photochromic lenses. Paid $60 at HH nearly 4 years ago. Great glasses because I hardly know I'm wearing them.

I've since picked up a pair of Oakley Jawbones and I'm not 100% convinced they're any better... I find myself still reaching for the Tifosi's.

My 2 cents FWIW...
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I too use Tifosi eyewear... quality is good, price is right.

I have a pair of Oakley glasses that I paid something like $120 for and they are no better than the Tifosi photochromic glasses I had. Go with the Tifosi's!
    I wanna ride!

Formally Decorah, but now North Liberty married to a Bettendorf Bulldog

Curious which lens you guys/gals have? http://www.tifosioptics.com/technology/lens-and-frame/

All this talk about sunglasses and you've got me "eyeing" a new pair . Also looks like some/most of the styles are for smaller faces - how do they fit?

Thanks!

pretty sure this is the updated version of what I've got:
    http://www.tifosioptics.com/products...stype=fototec/

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    pretty sure this is the updated version of what I've got:
    http://www.tifosioptics.com/products...stype=fototec/
    Thanks for the quick reply - those were the lenses I was thinking about. How late in the night would you feel comfortable wearing them? I assume you wear another pair of glass with clear lenses when you ride at night? They also say small to medium faces - how do they fit?

Thanks again and sorry for so many questions.

I've driven with them on at night without even realizing it.

I wouldn't say I have a small or large face...so I guess medium is about right. I can hardly tell I'm wearing them most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    I've driven with them on at night without even realizing it.

I wouldn't say I have a small or large face...so I guess medium is about right. I can hardly tell I'm wearing them most of the time.
    That's what I like to hear. Thanks again.

These lenses are designed for Mountain Biking and fit M-L. Click on "view all models w/ this lens" for frame options. Not that I wear my glasses much, but I have a pair of Tifosi's w/ changeable lenses and this particular lens is great for biking.
    http://www.tifosioptics.com/technology/fototec/
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!

so far, seems that most are tifosi biased for the quality/value. i have been to healthy and tried on several frame styles with the slip being what i liked the best fit wise, but after some online research, i have found lens issues with this model (they are prone to cracking above the nosepiece) and with my crash record, this may not be the best option. i have spent the past few days driving to different qc locations to try on name brand glasses. i must have a wierd face as those that actually fit me the way i would like for riding are slim.

after all this, who currently has or has worn/owned serfas glasses? i tried on many today at the trek store and liked the vent model. think im interested in these just looking for some feedback on the brand if anyone has any to give.

thanks for the discussion.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

I think if you crash on your face, your shades are probably not gonna survive. Hopefully, that means your balls (eyeballs that is) will. I have 2 pairs of Tifosi. Like em both and both are still intact. They have some models with interchangeable lenses. If your worried about busting a lens, buy the ones with multiple lenses. Break one then try a different shade. They'll last years! Also can get replacement lenses pretty cheap. Can't really go wrong. I think you'll always find more negative feedback on forum comments. Fewer people feel compelled to report the good compared to the number who will complain when things go wrong.
    Last edited by Dirt; 06-05-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling like a 2nd grader
    Dirt Don't Hurt

I picked up the Trifosi Slam today. They fit my face better than the Slip.
    On the ride today they didn't fog up like my last pair of glasses did (el cheapos) and the weather was about the same for both rides (85+ degrees, 45-50% humidity)
    As an added bonus, they didn't move when I endo'd it either!