Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day weekend trip??? What say you, FORCers??

Default Memorial Day weekend trip??? What say you, FORCers??

Memorial Day will be here before we know it and we haven't yet come up with a gameplan for our annual Memorial Day trip. Let's roll! Past destinations for our long weekend trips have been Levis Trow Mounds (WI), Kettle Moraine (Wisconsin), Landahl (Kansas City), Blue Mounds (Wisconsin), Sugarbottom (Iowa) to name a few. Where would you like to ride this year? Levis Trow Mounds was suggested and that's a really cool place to ride, but keep in mind that we will be going up there in Sept. for the Gnome Fest. We are also planning a trip to Copper Harbor again in the Fall, and there are a boatload of people heading to Brown County for 4 days of riding enjoyment in July. Lets come up with a wish list and then decide from there. Because its only a 3 day weekend, we dont want to be driving forever (otherwise, I'd suggest heading to Landahl, Decorah, Land Between the Lakes, etc.). A few suggestions within closer proximity:

Blue Mounds
    Kettle Moraine
    Levis Trow Mounds
    The Peoria area: Jubilee, Indy, Dirksen, Farmdale, Black Partridge, Comlara
    Sugarbottom
    Kickapoo (remember there's the Fat Tire Fest / race there later this summer)

OK, post up your suggestions. Try and stay within a 3/3.5 hour drive. Once we come up with a destination, we will find a group camping site and make reservations and go from there. Whoo hoo!
    I wanna ride!

Kette Moraine, with all the improvements, is calling my name:

http://southernkettles.org/wordpress/
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I just watched the vid on the page jimithng posted. Looks like a sweet place to ride. It has my vote.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Haven't been there yet, looks nice. Another vote for Kettle.

Board Position
    President

I know Bex called for a group site and found they were all booked. I just checked the rest and there is nothing available. Not sure what else can be found in the area for private camp grounds.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

levis
    i know there are other trips planned to levis but it's that good
    anyway we should probably pick based on weather
    levis is good even if it rains
    otherwise peoria? or kansas city? decorah?

Board Position
    President

Just thought I would post my plans for this weekend. I don't have the time to be away the whole weekend so I'm planning on going to Levis Friday sometime. Ride as much as I can then wake up Saturday ride some more the head home in time to pick up my daughter for dinner. Yep it's short, best I can do. My departure time will depend on who's in the van. I would like to leave no later than 2:30. If this works for any one feel free to claim a spot in the van.

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    Just thought I would post my plans for this weekend. I don't have the time to be away the whole weekend so I'm planning on going to Levis Friday sometime. Ride as much as I can then wake up Saturday ride some more the head home in time to pick up my daughter for dinner. Yep it's short, best I can do. My departure time will depend on who's in the van. I would like to leave no later than 2:30. If this works for any one feel free to claim a spot in the van.
    Frankly, I'll be lucky if I get to ride one of the local parks that or any weekend. However, this idea of going up Friday and coming back Saturday would be the most plausible scenario for me. Tentatively count me in. If the van fills up, I promise to make a solid commitment.

One other suggestion/question though: How come we NEVER even consider going to Chicago?!? Palos is great! Plus there's Saw Wee Kee in Oswego and the Plainfield Bike Park on the way. Close, great restaurants, bike shops big & small etc. etc. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. www.cambr.org
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Board Position
    President

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Frankly, I'll be lucky if I get to ride one of the local parks that or any weekend. However, this idea of going up Friday and coming back Saturday would be the most plausible scenario for me. Tentatively count me in. If the van fills up, I promise to make a solid commitment.

One other suggestion/question though: How come we NEVER even consider going to Chicago?!? Palos is great! Plus there's Saw Wee Kee in Oswego and the Plainfield Bike Park on the way. Close, great restaurants, bike shops big & small etc. etc. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. www.cambr.org
    I have considered it many times. The biggest hang up is where we would stay if it is a muti-day trip. I know we could do a day trip to this places but I usually look for a little more for the Memorial weekend.
    I'm here to tell ya that Chicago urban Jonny russ and I did last year as a spur of the moment thing was fantastic!!

I've gone up to Chicago a couple times for a day trip, but wouldn't really consider going up for a multi day unless I alreay had some other commitment that required me getting a hotel. I still haven't, and want to, ride Palos though!!

I'm tentative on AG's plan as well, I'm not 100% sure I can take that Friday off at this point.

Board Position
    President

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure I can take that Friday off at this point.
    Grab a lap top, air card and one of those mini pool tables, you wouldn't be taking the day off. Right?

going to talk with the wife and see if the friday?saturday trip with ag is doable. that is IF there is still a seat available in the van. nobody has POSTED to claim a spot as of yet so we'll see. tentatively speaking for a spot...
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

I'm interested in a Memorial Day trip!!

I'll take a spot in the AG's van.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

I'm claim a seat- Short trip to ride and let me get back with time left to get started on some Fest stuff sounds like a good plan.

Russ has to wear a cowbell, though...

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I'm in fo sho.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Board Position
    President

Ok so I have Russ, Ray and Raul in the van fo sho. Just trying to keep track.

Is that a hint that I'm not welcome?
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Board Position
    President

Tentatively count me in. If the van fills up, I promise to make a solid commitment.
    So are you committing? Van can hold 6 if I take the trailer.

Now I have to ride on the frickin trailer?!? What gives? I get no respect.
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Board Position
    President

At least you know where you stand.

I should know tomorrow if I can take it off or not. Unfortunately, I'm thinking it may be *not* at this point. :(

I'm out. Have to work Friday. I am thinking two day trips over the holiday weekend -- one on Saturday and one of Sunday, then enjoy the bike races in the District on Monday afternoon after a local mtn bike ride that morning. I am considering Kettle, Sugarbottom, Farmdale or Indy. Depends on weather of course and trail conditions.
    I wanna ride!

I'll claim a seat, though I'm not opposed to driving if the van fills up and another vehicle is needed.

Looks like I'm going to be in!