Thread: Any interest in a swap meet?

Default Any interest in a swap meet?

A FORCer asked me over the weekend if there has been any talk of hosting a bicycle part/gear swap meet/garage sale. Anyone have interest? He said that he has lots of vintage stuff in his garage that others may find more valued than he does. And, I think everyone has gear/clothing they bought but found they didn't care for and haven't used since. Should we put something together?

We could do it on a weekend morning at one of our parks before a group ride, or maybe we could roll it into the Midwest Mtn Bike Fest.

Feedback?
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

I of course think it is an excellent idea in either format. I am surprised one of the bike shops has not put one on.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

i think it would be a cool venture
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

That would be awesome. Does QCBC do one? Maybe we can integrate the two if they do, and if they don't, we can invite them to ours..

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Does QCBC do one?
    We used to have a swap meet back in the day when FORC and QCBC teamed up for the spring picnic. Held either at Loud Thunder or Illiniwek, there was always an assortment of parts and various sundries. I sold my '91 Trek at one of these around 2002 or so, still see it on occasion on the bike path. Last one I participated in was probably around 2005-06.

My impression on swap meets is that unless you're talking about a big one at Madison or Chicago, etc. it's best to combine it with another event - too small to draw much of a crowd on it's own in the QC (sales were thin during the picnics as well).

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Board Position
    Vice President

I would I have lots of stuff to sell or trade, for gold, furs, muskets, beaver pelts, cash, the sort.

i think it would be a great idea! im looking to get into the sport, and what better way for me to learn than talk to experienced riders about everything on a bike