Thread: Trails are open - go ride

Default Trails are open - go ride

yep, Sunderbruch is open!

here's the deal...

there are a few wet spots on Kick Up & Down. just ride through them...they need to be rapaired reagardless so any damage done in the next few days isn't going to make it any worse.

^^^the damage in the above pics is a result of 2 things - 1, riding the trails when they're too wet and 2, the reason they're too wet in the first place is the tread surface isn't properly outsloped. the outside edge of the trail is higher than the tread, so the water has nowhere to drain.

I spent a few hours installing a few drains yesterday and I watched the water sheet off the trail:

I'm not 100% finished with this area yet, it's still pretty rough but at least the water has someplace to go other than pool on the trail.

There's a few other spots throughout the system that have this exact problem. My goal is to get out within the next week or two and build these natural drains. If anyone wants to help, PM me...

That said, I've decided it isn't fair to keep the trails closed when 95% is ready to ride.

"ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Great Job, Steward!!

This particular spot is pretty soft and seems to drain a good portion of the hillside. I've been saying if the midwest would get back to a normal rain pattern instead of what we've been having these areas would probably dry out and be ok, but I've been saying that for 3 years- and the last 3 years have been in the top 5 on record for season rainfall amounts. (REALLY?!) ((It was true when I made it up!))

If it doesn't dry out around here this May then I'll give up and be on board for doing some ladder bridging or armoring through here.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I know it hasn't rained since, but the tread is now hardened and bone-dry in each of these spots.

The next rain will be telling...

I stopped out there yesterday and was amazed at how fast that section had dried. Nice work Mielke!

Default Working at Sunderbruch

Is it okay if I go hike the trails tonight and clear some of the blown down trees? I was out last night and found 3-4 for that need to be taken off.

If I don't hear a definite "NO" I'll be out there around 5:30 or so.

Jared

^go right ahead!

..and when you're done, post the time you put in to maintaing your trails in the Sunderbruch Maintenance Log.

Thanks for your help Jared!