Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What bike to get?

Default What bike to get?

I'm looking for advice, I want to start mountain biking this season and need some help finding a bike that would work for these trails (Sunderbruch Park, Scott County, and Sugar Bottom). I road most of the trails at Sunderbruch last fall with a hardtail loaner and had a blast. I have about a 1000 bucks to spend on a bike and helmet, what are your thoughts? I would love to get full suspension but that's probably not in the budget.

Thanks, Greg

I know I would like to have a new 69er
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (79.4 KB, 27 views)

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

I have a lot of fun on my 29'er full suspension Fisher Hi-fi pro, but you can get a well equipped hardtail for around a grand. Go to a couple of shops and try some bikes out. we've got a lot of different bikes in the club too so asking on here is a good idea.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Board Position
    President

I agree, start riding some sleds at your LBS. You will get a more for your money with a hard tail. In my opinion it's really all you need around here. If you ever run into me, don't be afraid to take one of mine for a spin.

AG
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

looked at a few bikes this weekend and I'm more confused than ever on what to get, hardtail vs FS. Just from riding in the parking lot FS was really cool. I saw 3 FS bikes that were slightly over my limit but would be willing to purchase. Just wondering what you guys thought of these bikes. 09 Trek Fuel 5.5, 08 GF HiFi. or a '09 Giant Trance X4.

which one felt best to YOU? which one was the most comfortable? you can compare the component group on the bikes. if they are all the same or closely comparable, then i would go with which ever one has the most comfortable fit, that you can afford.

i am 32 years old and have not bought a fs bike yet. i ride regularly on the trails around here and the ht suits all of them fine. i haven't ventured away from here really to tell you that a fs frame is necessary for the extra money. just a luxury at this point, not a necessity.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Trust me, you'll be fine with a hardtail around here and accompanying areas... but yes, FS are nice to have because they beat you up a little less. Compare component groups and get the one that feels right. Just ask you and can test out any of my sleds.

Default Sleds?

Since when did we start referring to bikes as sleds?!? I lose access to the site from work for two months and suddenly I'm confused thinking we became a bunch of snowy-hill enthusiasts. Scary.

Gfarb, I think the most important thing to consider is the component group which everyone else has referred to. You mentioned that you are just getting in to it...Do you know which components are better than others? If not, let us know. Someone here can break it down for you. That would be the place to start. I'm pretty sure all the bikes you referred to should have nice component groups.

I will say that if this is your first - and main - mountain bike, I'd go hardtail all the way and here's why: 1) less crap to lube, break, learn, worry about. 2) better component group for the money. Finally, not to be taken lightly, 3) They tend to fit better on bike racks. I know some might roll their eyes, but if you're just getting in to it, the last thing you want is to have something that you have to fight with every time you want to go out for a 30 minute ride.

I tell you, I took a buddy to the Trek Store last year and got him set up with a Gary Fisher Cobia. It's a HT 29er with a nice component set up. I think the bike is sweet. I highly recommend it. It was right around $1k. Give a 29'er a spin before you settle on a FS 26er.

Oh, and leave the toboggans to AG and Gunchie. It's Springtime, baby, we don't need any more references to cold weather. Besides sleds are for little boys. (I guess so are bikes, but that's different).

See you and that shiny new bike on the trails!

Board Position

I can attest to the 29'er movement. Cobia wil run you right about 1099 for '09. Very cool bike. I'm riding a superfly single now, along with a hi-fi pro 29 as my main bikes. let me know if you want to try anything specific. drive 20 save plenty...

maple leaf.....geneseo.

nice.......but you can't just take over the theme song don't cha know.

btw, gfarb. you could ride one of my steeds anytime. i'll meet you at sylvan anytime as now riding has to wait for me for a bit. i have 2 ht's, one is older and larger frame size, the other is new and smaller/lighter. easier to toss around on the trail. post up if yer interested. good luck.
    Last edited by dru_b; 03-17-2009 at 08:29 AM.

I would say really look at the HT. As mentioned before, in that area that is plenty to work with. A 29er would help absorb a lot of the little bumps that you will see. In the end find the best bike that feels comfortable for you with the best component setup in your price range. Don't be afraid to try and work a deal with the LBSs espcially on older frames ('08s, '07s, etc). They are a lot more willing to deal on older frames that they need to move.

Quote Originally Posted by gfarb View Post
    looked at a few bikes this weekend and I'm more confused than ever on what to get, hardtail vs FS. Just from riding in the parking lot FS was really cool. I saw 3 FS bikes that were slightly over my limit but would be willing to purchase. Just wondering what you guys thought of these bikes. 09 Trek Fuel 5.5, 08 GF HiFi. or a '09 Giant Trance X4.
    I was in your position two years ago. I had no idea what to buy, kept hearing "compare components groups", couldn't decide on Hard Tail, Disc Brakes, blah blah blah.

First and foremost, I wish someone would have told me how worthless Full Suspension is around here. Sure, when I'm feeling lazy I like taking out my FS, but there is no reason to have one in the QC other than to impress chicks on the bike path. Yeah that's right, I rode my FS on the bike path. :banana:

If you have a grand to spend, you can get a pretty nice HT (and this is where most people will say compare "component groups"). Most of your mainstream bike manufacturers are priced similar to one another. One might have a slightly cheaper brake so they can put a slightly better rear derailleur and vice versa, but the fact is they are almost the same bike.

The bottom line is: Stick with a HT SLED and go ride every one that each LBS has. Don't worry about making the perfect purchase, because there isn't one. You will get yourself a good bike that you can build your skill set, learn what the term "component group" really means and HAVE FUN with.

Board Position
    President

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    I was in your position two years ago. I had no idea what to buy, kept hearing "compare components groups", couldn't decide on Hard Tail, Disc Brakes, blah blah blah.

First and foremost, I wish someone would have told me how worthless Full Suspension is around here. Sure, when I'm feeling lazy I like taking out my FS, but there is no reason to have one in the QC other than to impress chicks on the bike path. Yeah that's right, I rode my FS on the bike path. :banana:

If you have a grand to spend, you can get a pretty nice HT (and this is where most people will say compare "component groups"). Most of your mainstream bike manufacturers are priced similar to one another. One might have a slightly cheaper brake so they can put a slightly better rear derailleur and vice versa, but the fact is they are almost the same bike.

The bottom line is: Stick with a HT SLED and go ride every one that each LBS has. Don't worry about making the perfect purchase, because there isn't one. You will get yourself a good bike that you can build your skill set, learn what the term "component group" really means and HAVE FUN with.
    Well put my knobby friend, well put.

Thanks for all the input it really has helped. I went out yesterday and looked at bikes again. I have decided to just go with a HT, but now have to pick between a 26 or 29er. Took a 08 GF Cobia at Trek for a spin and it felt really good but left me wondering with the bigger dia tires how would the maneuverability be like on the trails. What are your thoughts? I know a few of you have offered to go out with me and let me try one of your bikes and would like to take you up on that. This would give me a change to try some different bikes out on the trails and meet some fellow bikers. PM me with a date and time that will work for you and I will see if I can coordinate that time away from the family.

Thanks, Greg

I agree with SVT. HT is the way to go for our area.

I have found that on my 29er, I roll over stuff more easily and the big wheels mask some roughness that you might feel on a 26er. I feel like I am faster on my 29er, but that might be because it is a singlespeed. The maneuverabiliy isn't as good on the 29er and I have found the bit heavier wheels make a difference when pulling the front end up (could be my womanly wimpy upper body strength). The 26er is more lithe and agile. The 26er is more responsive when turning and cornering. It seems to take slightly more energy to get the 29er rolling as compared to the 26er, but the 29er momentum when rolling is beautiful. Test ride both sizes, see how they fit and feel. That's your best guide.
    I wanna ride!

Thanks for all the input it really has helped. I went out yesterday and looked at bikes again. I have decided to just go with a HT, but now have to pick between a 26 or 29er. Took a 08 GF Cobia at Trek for a spin and it felt really good but left me wondering with the bigger dia tires how would the maneuverability be like on the trails. What are your thoughts? I know a few of you have offered to go out with me and let me try one of your bikes and would like to take you up on that. This would give me a change to try some different bikes out on the trails and meet some fellow bikers. PM me with a date and time that will work for you and I will see if I can coordinate that time away from the family.

Thanks, Greg
    You're right, maneuverability is sacrificed slightly on the 29er. I do stress, SLIGHTLY. Like Bexter said, I feel smoother on my 29er, which equates to more confidence. As others have offered, you are welcome to ride any of my bikes as well. If you want to ride every different bike known to man though, get with AG! I suggest you bribe him with a 6-pack of something dark

Board Position
    President

Greg, Come on over put the 6er in the fridge.

Greg, to be ultra cool, you'e going to need to add riding the lime geren Redline Monocog 29er to the list.... if you're Ok test riding a chick's bike.
    I wanna ride!

19. Default

I just got a Cobia 29 and love it. I was surprised at how agile it is. I feel that I can do everything on it that I could do on my 26" GF. It also has just the right amount of component upgrade vs cost. I only have 6 hours on it and 3 of those were at Fleck's but it really does feel good.

You won't regret the 29er.

Board Position

greg- check your messages...

Scotty

Somewhere between over the handlebars and the nearest brewpub

Another consideration is your height. If you are taller, go 29er for sure. If you're in the middle buy what feels best. If you are vertically challenged, go 26er. I'm 6'3" and I am much more comfortable on my 29er.
    SPLASH
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well I was out and about today and stopped by Trek store and end up buying their 08 Cobia, got a good deal. I'm pretty stoked and cant wait to hit the trails with it. How are the trails at Sylvan? Im assuming that Scott County and Sunderbruch are still closed.

Well I was out and about today and stopped by Trek store and end up buying their 08 Cobia, got a good deal. I'm pretty stoked and cant wait to hit the trails with it. How are the trails at Sylvan? Im assuming that Scott County and Sunderbruch are still closed.

Is this it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

sylvan is totally rideable. go ahead, tear it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Byke Dood View Post
    Is this it?

Nope, mine is gray.

Went out to Sylvan early this morning with the family just to check things out and thought it was cool. Wish I would have taken the bike. Was planning on heading back with the bike later today but Im not sure how the trails will be with all the rain.