Thread: What bike to get?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What bike to get?

I'm looking for advice, I want to start mountain biking this season and need some help finding a bike that would work for these trails (Sunderbruch Park, Scott County, and Sugar Bottom). I road most of the trails at Sunderbruch last fall with a hardtail loaner and had a blast. I have about a 1000 bucks to spend on a bike and helmet, what are your thoughts? I would love to get full suspension but that's probably not in the budget.

Thanks, Greg

I know I would like to have a new 69er
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (79.4 KB, 27 views)

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

I have a lot of fun on my 29'er full suspension Fisher Hi-fi pro, but you can get a well equipped hardtail for around a grand. Go to a couple of shops and try some bikes out. we've got a lot of different bikes in the club too so asking on here is a good idea.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Board Position
    President

I agree, start riding some sleds at your LBS. You will get a more for your money with a hard tail. In my opinion it's really all you need around here. If you ever run into me, don't be afraid to take one of mine for a spin.

AG
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

looked at a few bikes this weekend and I'm more confused than ever on what to get, hardtail vs FS. Just from riding in the parking lot FS was really cool. I saw 3 FS bikes that were slightly over my limit but would be willing to purchase. Just wondering what you guys thought of these bikes. 09 Trek Fuel 5.5, 08 GF HiFi. or a '09 Giant Trance X4.

which one felt best to YOU? which one was the most comfortable? you can compare the component group on the bikes. if they are all the same or closely comparable, then i would go with which ever one has the most comfortable fit, that you can afford.

i am 32 years old and have not bought a fs bike yet. i ride regularly on the trails around here and the ht suits all of them fine. i haven't ventured away from here really to tell you that a fs frame is necessary for the extra money. just a luxury at this point, not a necessity.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Quote Originally Posted by gfarb View Post
    looked at a few bikes this weekend and I'm more confused than ever on what to get, hardtail vs FS. Just from riding in the parking lot FS was really cool. I saw 3 FS bikes that were slightly over my limit but would be willing to purchase. Just wondering what you guys thought of these bikes. 09 Trek Fuel 5.5, 08 GF HiFi. or a '09 Giant Trance X4.
    I was in your position two years ago. I had no idea what to buy, kept hearing "compare components groups", couldn't decide on Hard Tail, Disc Brakes, blah blah blah.

First and foremost, I wish someone would have told me how worthless Full Suspension is around here. Sure, when I'm feeling lazy I like taking out my FS, but there is no reason to have one in the QC other than to impress chicks on the bike path. Yeah that's right, I rode my FS on the bike path. :banana:

If you have a grand to spend, you can get a pretty nice HT (and this is where most people will say compare "component groups"). Most of your mainstream bike manufacturers are priced similar to one another. One might have a slightly cheaper brake so they can put a slightly better rear derailleur and vice versa, but the fact is they are almost the same bike.

The bottom line is: Stick with a HT SLED and go ride every one that each LBS has. Don't worry about making the perfect purchase, because there isn't one. You will get yourself a good bike that you can build your skill set, learn what the term "component group" really means and HAVE FUN with.