Thread: What bike to get?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sleds?

Since when did we start referring to bikes as sleds?!? I lose access to the site from work for two months and suddenly I'm confused thinking we became a bunch of snowy-hill enthusiasts. Scary.

Gfarb, I think the most important thing to consider is the component group which everyone else has referred to. You mentioned that you are just getting in to it...Do you know which components are better than others? If not, let us know. Someone here can break it down for you. That would be the place to start. I'm pretty sure all the bikes you referred to should have nice component groups.

I will say that if this is your first - and main - mountain bike, I'd go hardtail all the way and here's why: 1) less crap to lube, break, learn, worry about. 2) better component group for the money. Finally, not to be taken lightly, 3) They tend to fit better on bike racks. I know some might roll their eyes, but if you're just getting in to it, the last thing you want is to have something that you have to fight with every time you want to go out for a 30 minute ride.

I tell you, I took a buddy to the Trek Store last year and got him set up with a Gary Fisher Cobia. It's a HT 29er with a nice component set up. I think the bike is sweet. I highly recommend it. It was right around $1k. Give a 29'er a spin before you settle on a FS 26er.

Oh, and leave the toboggans to AG and Gunchie. It's Springtime, baby, we don't need any more references to cold weather. Besides sleds are for little boys. (I guess so are bikes, but that's different).

See you and that shiny new bike on the trails!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

I can attest to the 29'er movement. Cobia wil run you right about 1099 for '09. Very cool bike. I'm riding a superfly single now, along with a hi-fi pro 29 as my main bikes. let me know if you want to try anything specific. drive 20 save plenty...
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

maple leaf.....geneseo.

nice.......but you can't just take over the theme song don't cha know.

btw, gfarb. you could ride one of my steeds anytime. i'll meet you at sylvan anytime as now riding has to wait for me for a bit. i have 2 ht's, one is older and larger frame size, the other is new and smaller/lighter. easier to toss around on the trail. post up if yer interested. good luck.
    Last edited by dru_b; 03-17-2009 at 08:29 AM.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

I would say really look at the HT. As mentioned before, in that area that is plenty to work with. A 29er would help absorb a lot of the little bumps that you will see. In the end find the best bike that feels comfortable for you with the best component setup in your price range. Don't be afraid to try and work a deal with the LBSs espcially on older frames ('08s, '07s, etc). They are a lot more willing to deal on older frames that they need to move.