Thread: NewToTrails

Default NewToTrails

Just registered - Looking for group ride for novices - work schedule keeps me to weekend rides only...unless the boss doesn't see me leave work early some weekday???

Hey hey! Nice to meet you! You've found the right place! We have a nice variety of skill levels within the riders in our area and we ride a lot! Post up in the Let's Ride area and no doubt you'll get folks to join you. IF you need to sneak out of work early, Wednesday is a good day as we will start our Wednesday night group rides shortly.
    I wanna ride!

Great! - thanks for the info. I have a hard-tail bike and looking to try it out on something besides the broken streets of Clinton. Gee, I don't have clip-on pedels though - hope a group would still be willing to ride with me till I transition to them........which trials would be the best for a novice?

As long as your equipment suits you, we're cool with it. There are die-hard flat pledal riders and die-hard clipless pedal riders. Each to their own.

I love all of our trail systems, but for a Novice, Scott County is excellent (though the rangers are a bit more staunch about opening up the trails int eh Spring due to moist conditions). So, Sco Co Pa may be out for the next few weeks til things dry out more. Otherwise, Sylvan Island in Moline or Sunderbruch Park in Davenport (the trails are color-coded based on difficulty with green being easiest, blue being intermediate and black being difficult) are good novice options. You can ride a green lap and see how you do, then add in blue trails, etc. Illiniwek Park (Hampton, IL) is awesome, but there are a few hills in there that may offer more challenge that a novice rider may desire initially. The trails out there however are superb.
    I wanna ride!

Again, I appreciate all the information - looks like Sylvan Island is the only one open so far, so I guess I'll give it a try this weekend - I'll be the one with the shiney new bike. Can't wait to get it dirty....

Like Bexter said this is a great group to ride with! I am always looking for new people to ride with. If you are interested private message me your number and I'll add you to my text list to let you know when
    I have a group going out. All Skill levels welcomed.
    got bikes, will ride!
    Don Collins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

563-340-3476

Finally getting a chance to try - meeting co-worker at SCP tomorrow 9 am. maybe see some FORCers out there.

Would like to try to meet up with some FORC'ers for a Sunday morning ride (8/21) at Sunberbruch. Have experimented with SCP twice now in the last month. Love it! Still such a newbie, so be gentle...plenty of beginner/intermediate trails there?

Quote Originally Posted by jayrab View Post
    Would like to try to meet up with some FORC'ers for a Sunday morning ride (8/21) at Sunberbruch. Have experimented with SCP twice now in the last month. Love it! Still such a newbie, so be gentle...plenty of beginner/intermediate trails there?
    Yep...stick to the blue and green rated trails and you should have a plenty good time. If you're feeling good, head down one of the black trails. No one ever missed a sunrise because they had to put a foot down or get off their bike. ;-)

What time are you thinking?
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I'm a novice rider to and I went to Sunder last weekend for the first time. And man was it a great time. It gave me a workout though but well worth it. Can't wait to go back. Trails are marked so it's easy to get around.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazin' View Post
    Trails are marked so it's easy to get around.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I completely argree. That for all work that has been done. It make learning to ride that much more enjoyable.

Can you get away tomorrow night and make it out to Iliniwek? The HFDB time trial is for members only (it's purely an insurance issue), but you can still ride if you're not a FORC member. Of course it would be an excellent opportunity to meet some of the FORCers.
    I wanna ride!

Probably around 9 am - is that too early? Think I have someplace to be in the afternoon, so the earlier the better for me. Coming from Clinton, I need close to an hour to find it....

Hey - Thanks for all the replies - Wednesday night won't work this week for me (move-in day at UNI for youngest - yes - I am old), anyway, still hoping for Sunday morning at Sunderbruch....

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Quote Originally Posted by jayrab View Post
    - yes - I am old)
    HA! This group has a VERY fast over 30 group, some respectable over 40 doods and over 50- man- them cats RIDE. You'll fit right in!

I've been talking up bicycles with our 3 grandkids lately...

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.