just thought i'd take a minute to introduce myself, and also ask a quick question.

first things first, my name is danny. used to ride a lot of bmx, but haven't owned a bike since about 2003. that is, until this past saturday. i missed riding, and finally had the money to get back into it. after asking around at some local shops and doing a bit of reading online, i decided to go with a dirt jumper. went over to the old on two wheels and they happened to have a gary fisher mullet ss that had been sitting for the past two years. they made me a deal on it, so i scooped it up. not sure if there was a reason it had sat so long, or if it was the simple fact that nobody was really looking for such a single purpose bike.

went on a short ride sunday night with a friend down at sylvan island, and so far, i REALLY like the bike! with one exception. which leads me to my question...

based on the reading i've done, the common practice among single speed riders is to ride a 2:1 gear ratio, and the factory setup on my bike is 18/32. being that i don't have a rack for my car yet, i pretty much have to ride the bike to any trails i want to ride. and i'd also like to do a bit of street riding (not distance) and i'm thinking i'd appreciate a bit higher gear ratio so i'm not spinning so fast to go next to nowhere. anybody have an recommendations as to whether i should go to a 34T chain ring and get close to the 2:1, or just go for it and look for a 36T? keeping in mind that i'll probably be sticking to the qca trails and maybe the occasional solo street session, of course.

thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.