Thread: hey all!

Default hey all!

just thought i'd take a minute to introduce myself, and also ask a quick question.

first things first, my name is danny. used to ride a lot of bmx, but haven't owned a bike since about 2003. that is, until this past saturday. i missed riding, and finally had the money to get back into it. after asking around at some local shops and doing a bit of reading online, i decided to go with a dirt jumper. went over to the old on two wheels and they happened to have a gary fisher mullet ss that had been sitting for the past two years. they made me a deal on it, so i scooped it up. not sure if there was a reason it had sat so long, or if it was the simple fact that nobody was really looking for such a single purpose bike.

went on a short ride sunday night with a friend down at sylvan island, and so far, i REALLY like the bike! with one exception. which leads me to my question...

based on the reading i've done, the common practice among single speed riders is to ride a 2:1 gear ratio, and the factory setup on my bike is 18/32. being that i don't have a rack for my car yet, i pretty much have to ride the bike to any trails i want to ride. and i'd also like to do a bit of street riding (not distance) and i'm thinking i'd appreciate a bit higher gear ratio so i'm not spinning so fast to go next to nowhere. anybody have an recommendations as to whether i should go to a 34T chain ring and get close to the 2:1, or just go for it and look for a 36T? keeping in mind that i'll probably be sticking to the qca trails and maybe the occasional solo street session, of course.

thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

It's easier and cheaper to change out the cog rather than the chainring. I'd try a 16/32 setup and see how you like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.