Thread: Fork Rebuild

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Default Fork Rebuild

I have decided that my fork does not work the way it should. It does not feel as plush as others I ride, and I don't see it working like I do others when they are just riding around the parking lot or grass.
    Also it is not locking out, and the negative air pressure chamber does not hold pressure for more than 90 minutes(maybe less).
    It is a Rock Shox Sid SL 2002 model or so.

I have looked at service manuals on SRAM website. How hard is this to do yourself? What should I watch out for, where would I buy new parts?

If I did not do it myself what would I expect to pay someone, and where would I go?

Thanks,
    Eric
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by ew_perry View Post
    I have decided that my fork does not work the way it should. It does not feel as plush as others I ride, and I don't see it working like I do others when they are just riding around the parking lot or grass.
    Also it is not locking out, and the negative air pressure chamber does not hold pressure for more than 90 minutes(maybe less).
    It is a Rock Shox Sid SL 2002 model or so.

I have looked at service manuals on SRAM website. How hard is this to do yourself? What should I watch out for, where would I buy new parts?

If I did not do it myself what would I expect to pay someone, and where would I go?

Thanks,
    Eric
    as much as I love helping fellow knobbies, the only way I know how to answer your questions is:

Google is your friend
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

If you were just changing the oil to service it, I'd say go for it and do it yourself, but it sounds like you have some repairs to make. I'd bring it into a shop personally, but your not going to like the price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is a few tips I found :-)

Most of the rebuild will take place on the right side which is where the pure/damping tube is located. This it what gets worn down the most since its where the oil resides. The right left side is were the air chambers are and if they are not leaking just pump in a bit of 10 weight oil through the valves to keep the o-rings lubed and leave it alone. You will need a special tool for the air side anyway, and if you open it you want to make sure to have a new o-ring set while you're at it.
    The Left side is pretty easy to do if you follow instructions carefully. You will need 5 weight fork oil for it. Any quality suspension fluid should do fine. Look in a motorcycle shop if you can't find it at a bike shop. Rockshox recomends using something called red rum lubrican't for the seals and parts that require little oil but you can substitute this for 10 weight oil (maybe 15) which is what RS is doing for 2004 since red rum is kinda nasty and harder to obtain.
    Get out and ride !!

e dub, it not really asll that hard if you are mechanically inclined. as for the parts, any lbs can order them for you and they are not all that expensive. you will need oil also, possibly 2 different weights. call me if you wanna discuss things a little bit. btw, you can download a pdf service manual from the sram website.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Healthy Habits is a Premium Dealer for QBP's Shock Treatment Center. We send the fork out but they have all the parts and can custome tune it to your ridding style. The total cost is around $200 depending on what it needs but that includes taking the fork on and off the bike and shipping. Being a premium dealer your fork is moved to front of the line, so total turn around with shipping is around a week. -Huck

Push it!
    Jb

Quote Originally Posted by ELSANTO! View Post
    Push it!
    Jb
    Already looked. Push Industries doesn't do Sid's. Could call Pedal Pushers in Golden, CO: 303-365-2453. Ask for Erik. He used to work at Push and is a suspension guru. He did the fork on my race bike.

This guy sent a Lyric fork and a monarch rear shock to these dudes and loves it:

http://mtbsuspensionexperts.com/

their prices look pretty reasonable too.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

If your going to keep running SID forks since they are nice and lightweight and I alot of people have problems with the seals the special tools would be nice to have.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...0&pricemax=600
    Get out and ride !!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Bring that shizzle to me. I'll get that working like new!
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Well decided to let the professionals do the work. I guess it was a good idea as I am told it had water in it and has basically destroyed the all internal parts! $375 to rebuild. So know I am in the market for a new fork. New or gently used $200-$400. I will start a new thread and welcome the ideas.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

whatcha gonna do with that sid then? interested in selling it? ill repair it myself.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......